Connected to wireles but only local, no internet

ilanes 12:58 02 Feb 08

Hi,
Would really appreciate any help on this problem i'm having:

I'm on a gateway laptop running vista, im trying to connect to wireless network, but it tells me I'm connected to the wireless router but do not have access to the internet (local access only).

Basic quote:

"
connected to ___linksys____ but you do not have access to the internet.

-this may be due to incorrect WEP key or low signal

- if your'e connecting to hotspot, you might need to open browser
"

i tried diagnose and repair (to get a new IP address or something), but it couldnt do it/didnt work.

any help would be great!
thanks,
i

silverous 14:33 02 Feb 08

Does it change if you sit yourself directly next to the wireless router?

Has it ever worked or are you trying a new connection?

Is there any security setup on the wireless router?

BurrWalnut 15:24 02 Feb 08

Have you looked in Network & Sharing Center and clicked the red X to the left of the internet icon.

Local only and limited or no connectivity, click here and click here

ilanes 10:59 11 Feb 08

Thank you for the responses guys. Yes, i had tried sitting right next to the router. I even tried it with a physical wire plugged directly into my computer from router. This was the first time ever trying to connect in this apartment to this network. I believe there was security setup on the router, see below:
-----------
What we ended up doing that worked is, using one of the other computers that was successfully accessing the wireless network, turned off the password protection (I forget how - this was done while i was out of the house).

Then when I tried from my computer to connect to the wireless network, I was able to successfully without receiving the error message I mentioned above (local access only, no internet etc.).

Then we just reset the password (by plugging 192.168.1.1 or something close into a browswer, loggging in to the router with admin and admin, and putting in a new password), so that it's not open for anyone in the neighborhood to use.

thanks for the responses guys,
i.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…