Connected to web but getting page unobtainable msg

FitFrank 22:58 03 Nov 03

I have an ADSL modem connected to a PC running 98SE this is wired networked to a machine running XP. Using internet connection sharing I could happily access the net on both machines. Recently though when I connect, the 98 machine always shows the page unobtainable message yet I can still access the net on the XP machine. I have tried disabling Norton Internet Security and uninstalling /reinstalling the modem with no luck.

spruce 23:02 03 Nov 03

Check your firewall settings on the 98 box

A_World_Maker 23:19 03 Nov 03

Assuming the Gateway puter is the one running XP.... check your firewall on both machines and that they are both using the same Group Name for the network. For some bizzare reason., my XP machine has a good memory for these things, but not other os!!

FitFrank 23:53 03 Nov 03

Have so far tried disabling the firewall on the 98 and both are sharing same group. This really is baffling!!

A_World_Maker 22:36 04 Nov 03

Have you updated windows XP recently? I have found that updating sometimes alters the settings for permissions, it also switches on the XP firewall. Check that your adaptor(s) drivers are still okay.

FitFrank 23:44 04 Nov 03

Thanks for the suggestions but still no luck so far. The 98 machine is the gateway puter and the problem persists even when the XP puter is disconnected.

FitFrank 19:41 07 Nov 03

have found that in "view" in windows explorer page, Go To.....page unavailable is checked! cant clear it any suggestion?

spruce 16:57 11 Nov 03

download mozilla click here and see if you are getting your web pages. If you are then check what has been blocked by your firewall. The reasoning is that if it was working and you are not getting any error messages then my gut feeling is that it is your firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…