Connected to router but not internet

Allergyclown 17:20 27 Dec 06

I am using a wireless Belkin router. I have sucessfully connected one laptop. However, I am trying to connected a previously hardwired pc as wireless. I am showing as connected to the network with very good strength. I have sent packets but not received. When I try to connect to any internet page I get IE cannot display the webpage - Please help

Woolwell 17:32 27 Dec 06

I have found with a Belkin router and wireless connection that it will show a good connection but that this only means that it has detected the network not that you are actually connected to the network. Are you using an adaptor or wireless card to connect the PC to the network? What make are you using.

Allergyclown 17:38 27 Dec 06

Hi, I am using a Belkin USB adapter. Also I have just done cmd/ipconfig and no details have been returned?

Woolwell 17:56 27 Dec 06

In your systen tray on the PC there is probably a Belkin wireless connection icon which will be either red or green. If you open it you can see if you are connected at all. It should show a PC - Router - Internet and may well have crosses between each. If the connection is good you will get binary symbols. If you click on more it will show the IP addresses. You may need to click on the profile tab and then select the network and then connect and then follow the prompts to put in the security key. If you have done this then try changing the wireless channel. I hope this is clear.

I haven't got the Belkin router or USB adaptor at home so am doing this from memory and may have to hand over to someone else.

Allergyclown 11:15 28 Dec 06

thanks but I am still stuck. I have put in the key and it shows as connected but I get no web page and shpw no IP address???

Woolwell 12:05 28 Dec 06

On the desktop when showing connected - Start - Run - Type CMD click ok.
In the box type ping 192.168.2.1 then enter
What do you get?

Woolwell 12:14 28 Dec 06

PS you may get better help than me from the Network forum.

bruno 12:38 28 Dec 06

I had so many messages saying IE cannot connect,I have stareted using Firefox all the time.I found that IE7 times out before I get a connection moe than half of the time.I do not get the message on Opers or Firefox.I did not get the problem when I was on IE 6.

bruno 12:39 28 Dec 06

Typo...More...Opera

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017