Connected at 115.200bps on dial up

bowl 21:21 21 Jul 04

Can anyone tell me how my computer says it is connected at 115.200 on a dial up surftime link thanks

bowl 21:55 23 Jul 04

Can anyone tell me if this is right or will it be harmful at all to my setup

woodchip 22:03 23 Jul 04

You need to go into Modem\Extra Settings and at the End of the Modem Init string type W2 and it will give you the correct Connection speed in win98

woodchip 22:06 23 Jul 04

What it say's is not the correct speed but cannot hurt your comp

bowl 22:20 23 Jul 04

Thanks for the info woodchip so long as no harm will be done I will tick as resolved

woodchip 22:24 23 Jul 04

In Extra settings you can also speed the Dial-Up.

Before the W2 put S11=40 so it looks like this in the extra settings

S11=40 W2

Gongoozler 22:31 23 Jul 04

The speed reported is simply the speed your computer is communicating with the modem. For the real speed go to the McAfee Internet Speedometer click here

has everyone realised that it is connecting at 115.2 bps and not 115.2 kbps so it is infact connecting at 0.1152 kbps ? That is a very slow speed. Does your internet seem slower than usual?

smokingbeagle 22:53 23 Jul 04

The speed shown is incorrect.
click here;en-us;227695

smokingbeagle 22:55 23 Jul 04

SYMPTOMS
Modem connection speeds may be incorrectly displayed in Dial-Up Networking. Values that exceed the maximum speed of the modem may be displayed. Commonly reported values are 115,200 and 57,600.
CAUSE
There are two different values that can be reported when a modem connection is initiated:
The Data Terminal Equipment (DTE) speed
The Data Circuit-terminating Equipment or Data Communications Equipment (DCE) speed
The DTE speed is the speed between the computer's central processing unit (CPU) and the modem. The DCE speed is the actual connection speed. When you make a modem connection, the connect string that is returned from the modem is compared to values in the Modem.inf file that matches the modem. If there is no corresponding entry in the Modem.inf file, the DTE speed is displayed instead of the DCE speed.
RESOLUTION
A custom .inf file for the modem is required to resolve this issue. Check with the modem's manufacturer for an updated .inf file.

GaT7 23:16 23 Jul 04

click here (the same link by smokingbeagle). I have the same problem but left it as it is - as woodchip said it won't do any harm.

smokingbeagle - the Forum's 'click here' doesn't like ; (semi-colons & some other characters). To post MS knowlegdebase links - click here (VoG's post). HTH, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now