Connect3D RADEON 9550 install problems

JonnoTractorBoy 15:20 16 Aug 05

I'm unsuccesfully trying to install a Connect3d ATi Radeon 9550 into an ASUS A7V266-E Mobo. I'm replacing a Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200 card.

I have removed the Nvidia drivers in safe mode (they don't appear in "add/remove programs") with "DH Driver cleaner". I've fitted the new card and then installed the new drivers. It works OK for a couple of minutes but then crashes.

I've read that SMARTGART needs to be set to 4x not 8x, but 4x is the highest option I get. I've also updated MOBO's driver, but it still keeps happening.

I'd be grateful for ideas and/or a step by step guide.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 17:53 16 Aug 05

You could try the Omega drivers click here

JonnoTractorBoy 20:14 16 Aug 05

Anyone know if there's somewhere I should check to see if my MOBO is compatible with this card? ASUS website doesn't seem to help. Is there any obvious reason why it wouldn't be compatible?

Thanks

gudgulf 21:12 16 Aug 05

The Asus A7V266-E motherboard only supports up to AGP4x so that is why you don't see up to AGP8x in SmartGart.If yours displays AGP4x then that is correct.I have had problems with installing ATI drivers in the past but they work fine once on the system.Try removing and reseating the card....it may not be fully seated in the AGP slot,and make sure the cooling fan is working.

Omega drivers have the ability to be installed over the top of any existing drivers sets making installation a doddle (you just need to uninstall the ATI control panel first).They also tend to have improved compatibility over the official drivers,but you should not have any issues with the combination of mobo/graphics card you mention.

Also you could try uninstalling the ATI drivers and clearing your temporary files directory using CleanUp click here then reinstall with your antivirus program switched off.

If problems still remain after a few more attemps at installing the card/drivers then you could try a BIOS flash to the latest version for your motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…