Connect wireless modem to one computer.

donmar 11:21 15 Nov 06

I have xp home and a wifi b and g enabled laptop.
No other computer. I wondered if I could buy and connect a wireless modem router and the be able to use the laptop anywhere in the house.I have AOL Broadband at the moment but the laptop is tied to a wired external modem at present.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Don

daxian 11:52 15 Nov 06

hi hypno.....
yes is the short answer ....

you will need to connect via cable(ethernet) for the initial setup ,but as long as you have a wireless lan in your laptop,once setup you can go wireless and within reason,surf from anywhere in the house (subject to the range of the router)Dave..

donmar 13:46 15 Nov 06

Hi Daxion

Thans a lot. I will pop into town asap and get a router.

Don

keithlik 14:57 15 Nov 06

If you are new to Wireless take a look at the following link for info;-

Copy and paste to your browser

click here

Stuartli 16:36 15 Nov 06

Easier to just click on it or, alternatively, right click and Open in New Window/Tab.

donmar 16:52 15 Nov 06

Thanks a lot guys,that was very helpful.Only just started with computers so I need all the help I can get.It's good to know that there are people who are prepared to help out.
I think we used to be called silver surfers.

Don

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…