connect two PC's to one cable modem

Baslla321 15:34 21 Oct 04

I know that there has been several threads re net working etc but please bear with me and answer this simple question. My modem Toshiba PCX 2500 can take two computer on cable connection. I presently have Win XP pro on it and as far as I can understand(which is little !) the USB port is the only port not in use on this modem. Now comes my question, If I connect a cable from my Windows 98 PC USB, direct to the modem USB, will this work? Will my win98 also be using the cable. It is presently on dial-up with internal modem. It has no networking card. What do u say please?

Trolley 15:42 21 Oct 04

I'm not sure, but I beleive that you can use only the network port on the modem OR the USB port. This means that you would have to get a network hub to connect your modem to, and then a network card for your other PC.

I think I have read the tech sheet right, but I may not have.

Has somebody else got any ideas?

SEASHANTY 16:03 21 Oct 04

See the website for Toshiba FAQ's - it tells you to use a hub if you need more than one PC on the modem. I guess a router would also suffice.
click here

SEASHANTY 16:13 21 Oct 04

As Trolley says the fact that your modem has both ethernet and USB connections only means that either
option can be selected for connection to the PC but not both at the same time. You could connect another PC by linking your main to the other PC with a RJ45 cat5 crossover cable. You would, however, need a LAN card in both the PC's and if your main PC is already using the one single LAN card this would entail the purchase and install of
another 10/100 ethernet card for the main PC. They
are not very expensive but you would need a spare PCI slot for the install.

Baslla321 16:30 21 Oct 04

I understand now. Thank you very much !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant