Connect two computers to a printer powered USB hub

precrown 14:34 29 Jan 04

I am having problems connecting a laptop and desktop computer to share a hp psc2110 printer scanner. hp recommend a powered hub (I bought a belkin usb2). The desktop computer with A-B usb cable goes to the input of the hub then another A-B cable to the printer scanner. I got a A-A cable to connect the laptop to the hub also but no joy with printing. The desktop (XP home) found the new hardware (usb hub), but what else do I have to do to get the laptop (XP Professional) as well? Printer sharing has been enabled on the laptop but cannot find this on the desktop. Both computers have the printer drivers loaded.

Eric10 22:50 29 Jan 04

I don't think you can do this. It sounds like you are connecting your laptop to an output port of your USB hub. I think you will have to unplug the usb cable from your desktop and plug it into the laptop when you want to use it with that.

This isn't very elegant of course and networking the PC and laptop to share the printer/scanner would be a better solution. I'm not sure that the scanner would work over a network but the printer would be ok. To share a printer on a network you right-click the printer and choose sharing.

DieSse 23:01 29 Jan 04

This is not what a hub does.

A hub is for attaching several peripherals to a system - NOT several systems to a peripheral.

You need some sort of network - either a USB type, or a proper LAN.

Or a printer switch - I believe you can get them for USB cables - example click here

the spook 07:59 30 Jan 04

I use two computers and one printer. I found a nice little USB switch that allows me to switch the printer from one computer to the other just by pressing scroll lock twice. If you are printing from comp 1 and need to print from compt 2 it will wait before switching over so the print job is finished. Have a look here click here
Hope this is what you need.

precrown 14:19 30 Jan 04

Thanks spook. Its a usb switch I need. Pity that hp got their printer handbook completely wrong and their support website were no help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…