Connect to a specific wireless AP?

MooCowFizzy 06:22 08 Jul 07

Is there any way to manually connect to a particular wireless access point, if there are two networks within range using the same name?

I recently got a Vista laptop and have been using it to access the free wifi at a local coffee shop. However, I think there is another wireless network nearby, using the same name, because sometimes my connection is very slow, and sometimes it's very fast. Also the internet icon in my task bar will sometimes say "linksys 2" and sometimes just "linksys".

If there is another network, it might belong to someone living in the apartment complex behind the coffee shop. How can I make sure I'm connecting to the coffee shop's wifi and not the other one? I have asked the manager of the shop if the name of their network could be changed to eliminate confusion but he didn't seem to want to bother since I was the only one to complain about it.

Thanks!

mgmcc 08:09 08 Jul 07

The network adapter will always find any "Available Wireless Networks" within range. Normally, you would select the one you wish to use and click the Connect button. When you have connected, a 'profile' is saved so that, provided you don't select the Disconnect option, the adapter will connect to the network automatically again whenever it is available.

The adapter should only connect "automatically" to networks that you've previously connected to and for which there is a 'profile'.

You can change the priority of the networks that you want to connect to and delete unwanted profiles by going into the "Network & Sharing Center", then clicking the link on the left "Manage Wireless Networks". When you click an entry to highlight it, the options to Remove, Move Up and Move Down become available.

It is unfortunate if a provider, such as your Coffee Shop, doesn't change the router's default SSID, because other routers of the same model in the area will have the same default. If you can establish which is the correct one, delete the 'profile' for the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…