Connect Printer to Router to share

chaztait 20:32 18 May 05

Hi i have just bought a router and i want to share the printer but through the router so you dont need the PC its connected to to be on.

The only thing my Router accepts is wireless connection and Ethernet connections..but my printer is USB.

Is there a thing to transfer it from USB to ethernet?

thanxs

chaztait

mgmcc 20:39 18 May 05

Yes, you need a "Network Print Server". As your router is wireless, you could use a "wired" print server with it and still have wireless printing. click here

chaztait 20:48 18 May 05

hi could you please give me a more direct link thank you

Mikè 21:09 18 May 05

Try this click here

chaztait 21:22 18 May 05

is there anything cheaper?

Mikè 21:30 18 May 05

Are you sure your printer doesn't have a parallel port? It's the usb only that's bumping up the price.

chaztait 21:33 18 May 05

i want something to convert a USB cable into an ethernet cable you know like when its a USb mouse into PS/2 that kind of thing, or one end is USB going into printer and the other end going into the ethernet port on Router

DieSse 23:31 18 May 05

i want something to convert a USB cable into an ethernet cable you know like when its a USb mouse into PS/2 -

That wouldn't do the job - you must have a print server of some kind. Otherwise the printer can't be seen on the LAN, nor can individual computers address it, as it wouldn't have an address. That's what the server does.

chaztait 19:29 25 May 05

so i would have to buy a server. how much are they and would it connect to my router or something as i need it wireless?

chaztait 21:18 25 May 05

anything that cost like £10 rather than £30?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…