connect netbook to wireless network

vally 20:40 PM 07 Sep 10

I have a new MSI Wind U160 netbook, in windows help, it says, to connect your laptop to your wireless network, open Connect to a Network, there should be a list of networks to choose from, but there is no list, I already have the netbook connected to my router by ethernet cable and the netbook wireless switch is turned on, I have found the wireless adapter in device manager and it says the device is not working correctly windows cannot load the drivers (code31)but when i update drivers is says the driver software is up to date, so it has a problem and i don't know what to do next, and i don't know what code 31 is

mgmcc 08:06 AM 08 Sep 10

The Code 31 error tends to relate to a problem in the registry, which prevents the drivers from loading.

A possible course of action would be to uninstall the Wireless Network Adapter in Device Manager, run a registry cleaner (such as that in Ccleaner), reboot, when Windows should "find new hardware", and reinstall the wireless adapter.

Ccleaner from click here

Windows XP drivers for MSI Wind U160 click here

Windows 7 drivers for MSI Wind U160 click here

You could actually try running Ccleaner's Registry Scanner first of all, without uninstalling the adapter, to see if it fixes the problem.

vally 13:35 PM 08 Sep 10

thanks mgmcc
I have been wondering if what i need is on the cd that came with it, but as there is no cdrom in a netbook i can't load it, the cd contains driver, utilities and manual, can these files be copied to a usb memory stick and then loaded from there?
vally

mgmcc 13:52 PM 08 Sep 10

Yes, you can copy the files from the CD on to a USB stick.

vally 20:32 PM 08 Sep 10

thanks that's good to hear, hope to get around to that soon and let you know

vally 18:18 PM 09 Sep 10

MGMCC
copied files and installed ok, also uninstalled the wireless adapter, then re-installed, and it is now working ok, didn't need to do registry cleaner
thanks
vally

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…