connect laptop to pc via lan

dazzlet2004 23:11 10 Aug 04

hi i wonder if someone could help me as i am trying to connect my laptop to my main pc in order for me to transfer information from the laptop to the pc. i have got onboard lan in the laptop and i have a lan card in the pc. i purchased a 2 metre lan cable from the local computer hardware shop. i set everything up on both machines and also set it up to share the internet. i made some folders on each machine shared. the internet sharing works but i cant access any of the shared folders on either of the machines. both the laptop and the main pc use windows xp pro. please could some help me i dont know what else to try. thanks daz

johnsims 23:16 10 Aug 04

run the network connections wizard on the PC. Create a floppy disk when prompted. Transfer floppy to laptop and run the file on the floppy disk as per instructions. This will ensure both machines have the same workgroup name, sub domain, protocols etc etc.

dazzlet2004 11:10 11 Aug 04

i made a floppy disc and ran the disc on both machines this didnt work i even used the windows xp cd rom as it said i could but this still would not allow me to see the other files. it says i do not have permission i need to see the administrator, even though i am an administrator on each machine and my user account is not limited

johnsims 11:39 11 Aug 04

Are your user name and password the same on both machines? If not try that. Also perhaps try uninstalling the network card and protocol (tcp\ip) from each machine in turn (with the cable removed) and then reboot and reinstall the LAN card and network protocols.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…