Connect To Internet - Wireless Network Dell Inspiron 6000

RobCharles1981 18:53 03 Feb 14

Hi,

In recent weeks we where given a laptop from a previous owner and it's a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop and my Dad will use it, I cleaned installed and stuck XP and got all the drivers and necessary programs.

It has built in Wi-Fi and it's enabled and "Connected to "Wi-Fi" my question is how do I connect to the internet and connect to various sites i.e Google? It's going to "BtOpenzone"

Appreciate any help.

Thanks Rob

lotvic 19:29 03 Feb 14

You need to connect laptop to your or your Dad's Router via the WiFi.

When the laptop scans for available Networks look for your router's name and click on Connect. The name is usually on a label on the back of the Router and so is the password.

Who is your ISP? and what type of router or is it a bthub that you have?

Secret-Squirrel 19:35 03 Feb 14

"...... and "Connected to "Wi-Fi"...........It's going to "BtOpenzone""

I don't fully understand what you've said there Rob but is that the BT Openzone webpage that's asking you to enter login details or buy some credit? If it is then you're connected to one of the public BT wireless hotspots.

To get Internet access without paying for it you need to connect to your own wireless network (the one being broadcast by your wireless router).

RobCharles1981 19:59 03 Feb 14

Hiya lotvic,

My Isp is Titan and I use a netgear DG834 Router.

Hiya SS

Yes that's right... Wireless is "Connected" but when I fire up Firefox it goes stright to Btopenzone....

lotvic 23:33 03 Feb 14

Right-click the network connection icon in the notification area (bottom right of desktop near the clock), and then click 'View Available Wireless Networks'

Also read click here

RobCharles1981 21:09 12 Feb 14

Hi

The Wireless adapter is an Intel One,

And right now it's picking up 3 Wireless Networks....

BTWifi (Connected) BTWifi With Fon

And the other is a BTHub Which is secured so I'm assuming that might be next door. i.e Neighbor.

Secret-Squirrel 21:39 12 Feb 14

"And right now it's picking up 3 Wireless Networks....BTWifi (Connected) BTWifi With Fon...And the other is a BTHub..."

Rob, to reiterate what I said before, you have a Netgear DG834 wireless router which broadcasts its own wireless network and that's the one you need to connect to. You'll never get a free Internet connection by connecting to those BT Hotspots.

Can you think of any reason why the Dell laptop is unable to see the Netgear wireless network and connect to it? Is it perhaps that your dad doesn't live with you and those are the only available wireless networks where he lives? If so, does he have an Internet provider and wireless router?

Please explain the situation fully.

lotvic 22:52 12 Feb 14

Netgear DG834 Router seems to be a very old model. Do you have the wireless model ? is this it? click here

Secret-Squirrel 08:42 13 Feb 14

Well spotted Lotvic. Rob may have a Netgear DG834 but it may not be the wireless version.

RobCharles1981 11:41 13 Feb 14

That's the answer I did say what my router was!!!

In any case it sounds like I will need to get a Wireless Router... In a Few weeks March My Exchange will be FTTC Enabled and I will get one then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017