connect internal sata hd while pc is on

philonp 21:52 07 Mar 08

I have an internal sata hd that I used to have an external enclosure for. But the enclosure gave me so many problems that I returned it. Now every time I want to access my extra hd, I shut down my pc and connect it. I know that sata should be hot swappable, but i am afraid of doing it since I have data in the hd and it's not esata. Would it be okay to connect the internal sata hd with internal cabling while pc is running?
More info: My motherboard supports only sata 1.5. My hd is a seagate 160gig and the jumper is set to sata 1.5.

Technotiger 21:57 07 Mar 08

NO NO NO ..........

Technotiger 21:58 07 Mar 08

Better to get another working enclosure, you can then connect it while pc is running.

philonp 22:03 07 Mar 08

And if it would be possible, please give me more details to your answers and suggestions to educate me.

helen_312 22:04 07 Mar 08

It will be fine. They are hot swapable, it's just like plugging in a usb device.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 07 Mar 08

e-sata (external sata is hot swappable NOT the internal sata connections on your motherboard.

You stand a good chance of blowing the sata on board connections if you try it.

Technotiger 22:15 07 Mar 08

For your further edification click here

PalaeoBill 22:33 07 Mar 08

Another thing to consider is the cooling of your PC. If run your PC with the cover off, in order to get at the sata connectors, you will seriously compromize cooling (the cover needs to be on to get sufficient air flow over the processor). Best to get an external sata controller.

philonp 15:50 09 Mar 08

It seems that hot swapping is dependent the hardware support: hard drive and motherboard. This is what intel said for hot swap:

Hot swap (also referred to as hot plug) is a feature supported by the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) and the Intel® Matrix Storage Technology. Hot swap allows devices to be removed and inserted while the system is running.

In order for hot swap to be enabled, the following must be true:

1. The Intel® Matrix Storage Technology software must be loaded. The latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Technology software is named Intel® Matrix Storage Manager.
2. OEMs/motherboard manufacturers must correctly enable hot swap capability in the system BIOS.
3. The system must include an Intel® chipset using a controller hub that supports AHCI.

Technotiger 16:03 09 Mar 08

Hot swap allows devices to be removed and inserted while the system is running.

True, but ........ External, not Internal, unless I am very much mistaken.

paul€ 16:37 09 Mar 08

I have no problem hot swapping SATA internal drives on my machine when windows is running. I just plug in a spare data and power cable. Vista recognises the drive and it's ready to roll.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…