connect freeview box to hauppauge tv card

skerryvore 12:04 16 Aug 07

I've a spare DIGIHOME DV940B2 freeview receiver I'm trying to link to my computer via a Hauppauge TV capture card. (not sure which one but it's 88X based)
I've connected via a Scart to S-video lead.
The TV cards instructions say that signals can be received from a satellite receiver but on trying to configure it via the cards software the 'composite - svideo' has a red mark through it implying to me that it's not receiving a signal.
Suggestions anyone?

holme 12:27 16 Aug 07

There could be a couple of problems:

a) If you've connected from the SCART socket on the Freeview box to the S-video socket on the TV card, I presume you've used some sort of adaptor. Could you double-check that the adaptor is of the signal OUT variant or, if a switched type, is physically switched to OUT. If it's an IN variant, or switched to IN, that will result in the symptoms you describe.

b) You /may/ need to select the S-video format at the SCART socket. Go into the Freeview set-up menu and see if there's a video output format setting. It may give you a choice of Composite (could alternatively be called Video or PAL), S-video or possibly even RGB. If there's an S-video option, make sure that's selected. HTH.

skerryvore 13:45 16 Aug 07

no adaptor as such, just a direct Scart to S-video. Definitely a scart out to s-video in.
The only way I can configure the freeview box as you suggested is to re-connect to a TV, I'll try that and report back.
Thanks.

holme 14:35 16 Aug 07

While you're at it, can you:

c) Check the cable by plugging the Freeview box into an S-video socket on the TV (if fitted, often on the front panel for use by e.g. camcorder)? Don't forget to select that input, typically 'AV3' or 'A3'.

d) Check the TV card/cable by plugging another SCART video source into it, e.g. DVD player?

From what you said, I think it's probably more fundamental than the video format. Even if the Freeview box is pushing out a composite signal, you should still get an image, albeit in monochrome.

Stuartli 14:37 16 Aug 07

A normal TV aerial feed via a television extension lead from the Freeview box to the coaxial socket on the TV card should be all that is required (the original TV signal goes to the Freeview box).

The Freeview box converts digital signals back to analogue so that these can be viewed on your PC (or analogue TV as appropriate).

skerryvore 14:57 16 Aug 07

Ok, Iv'e got it connected to a tv via scart to scart, the freeview menu gives the output options of RGB or CVBS whatever that is, no S-video option.
When I connect to the TV via the Scart to s-video lead the TV recognises that there's an s-video input but there's no signal from the freeview box.
All works fine on computer if I connect the TV aeriel through the analogue input/output on freeview box, of course that doesn't give me the freeview channels which is the whole point of this exercise.
Methinks it's time to invest in a dongle instead.

holme 15:10 16 Aug 07

" ... the freeview menu gives the output options of RGB or CVBS whatever that is,"

'CBVS' = composite/video/PAL.

" ... no S-video option."

In that case, I'm sorry to say you ain't going to get an S-video signal from the Digihome Freeview box to the TV card.

Does the Hauppauge have a Composite video (RCA) socket? If it does, you could use a SCART adaptor (OUT variant) and a composite video lead to the TV card. Configure the output to the CBVS option.

If it doesn't, then I fear you need another Freeview box, one with the capability to output an S-video signal.

skerryvore 15:39 16 Aug 07

No RCA socket on Hauppauge card so guess thats end of topic, well worth a try though.
Many thanks for your efforts.

holme 16:01 16 Aug 07

From what you say, it sounds like your Hauppauge TV card is the same family as one of ours.

A potential solution (if you wished to spend a few quid) is to try a simple Composite/S-video converter/adaptor; click here

You would need to configure the Freeview box to output a composite (CBVS) signal and cable it through a SCART adaptor (OUT variant), a composite cable, the composite/S-video adaptor and S-video cable to your TV card. It's a lash-up, but does work - I've just tried it.

Frankly though, the image quality is barely up to composite video standards (as is to be expected), with noticeable 'ringing', and is certainly nothing like S-video. And I see that someone on the FAQ's page said he even lost the colour which, again, isn't all that surprising.

Other than that, I'm afraid we're out of ideas, but HTH.

skerryvore 16:21 16 Aug 07

OK Ta, there's always a way round these things.
I think I'll try the dongle route, any experience of these gizmos?

holme 16:45 16 Aug 07

Sorry, not sure what you mean by 'dongle'. Do you mean a USB plug-in Freeview TV adaptor?

If so, we haven't tried them ourselves, but there must be plenty of reviews and user-reports around. Try PC Advisor! :-?

Just another thought, from a colleague. He wonders if your Freeview box puts an RF/video signal onto the aerial lead (in the same way that VCR tuners do, and /some/ Freeview boxes do)?

He suggests tru connecting the Digihome box via the aerial IN/OUT leads as normal but don't bother with the SCART socket. Then re-tune the Hauppauge TV to see if there's a 'new' station being received, probably on Chan 68. If so, at least you can view the digital channels, albeit in relatively low quality (and mono sound).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009