//some 3rd party need geo

connect 2 pcs to share broadband

BODS 07:23 21 Jun 06

hi,can anyone please help

i have 2-pcs

1/ main pc with windows xp home s2, this is connected to internet via telewest blueyonder cable modem/d link router dl-604 (wired-cat 5 cable) working ok.

2/ have second pc with either windows 98se or me this connects to internet via dial-up-connection
this pc has nic card fitted and in device manager is working ok/also a cat5 cable connected to same

how can i setup and connect the above, to use the blueyonder internet (without dial-up-connection) on both pcs independently

also if possible connect a 3rd pc in the future as above(wins 95/98/me0

mgmcc 10:58 21 Jun 06

<<< have second pc with either windows 98se or me this connects to internet via dial-up-connection
this pc has nic card fitted and in device manager is working ok/also a cat5 cable connected to same >>>

What is the CAT5 cable connected to? It should be plugged into a second LAN port in the router and, if this is the case, it should already have internet access via the broadband connection. There is nothing more to it than that.

<<< also if possible connect a 3rd pc in the future as above(wins 95/98/me0 >>>

As long as it has a network adapter installed, plug it into a free LAN port in the router too.

rodriguez 00:25 23 Jun 06

When the second PC is plugged into the router with the CAT5 LAN cable, just make sure that you get lights on the back of the NIC card to make sure it's connected OK in case you have the wrong type of cable (you can get either crossover or straight). One light should be on constantly to show it's connected and the other should flash to indicate data transfer. Once this is OK, just run the Network Setup Wizard in Windows and it will set up a shared Internet connection and a home network in minutes. You can then also access files on one PC from the other so you don't need to transfer anything with discs between one and the other anymore.

mgmcc 07:55 23 Jun 06

<<< just run the Network Setup Wizard in Windows and it will set up a shared Internet connection and a home network in minutes. >>>

I'm not sure what you mean by "set up a shared Internet connection"? Both computers are connecting to a router so it is important that "Internet Connection Sharing" is *NOT* set up on any connection in either PC.

rodriguez 12:10 23 Jun 06

When you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, you can set up Internet Connection Sharing that allows the Internet to be used on both machines, which is what BODS wants. click here's_network_setup_wizard_in_windows_xp.htm for details. I've done this on both my computers and set up the shared Internet connection and shared files and it works fine. I also did networking at college.

mgmcc 12:27 23 Jun 06

<<< When you run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, you can set up Internet Connection Sharing that allows the Internet to be used on both machines, which is what BODS wants >>>

That's the point - BODS has his two computers connected to a D-Link router which will provide internet access to each of them over the LAN.

HE MUST NOT enable Internet Connection Sharing on any connection in either computer!

EITHER you use internet connection with a "host" PC connecting directly to the internet and "sharing" its connection with a "client" PC *OR* you use a Router, but you don't use ICS with a Router.

rodriguez 14:50 23 Jun 06

I use a router, enabled ICS and it works fine. That's just how mine's set up.

ade.h 17:53 23 Jun 06

Using ICS (which is a unreliable hack anyway) with a routed network adjacent to it is not a good idea. It is theoretically possible, if you have two network adapters, but it's not reliable. click here for example. We had a thread here recently in which someone unwittingly had ICS enabled on his/her network adapter and it was preventing the routed network from working. It all sprang to life when ICS was disabled.

BODS 06:53 24 Jun 06

thanks all you guys for help on connect 2 pcs,however i have another question will the router after setup will it been seen in device manager

mgmcc 08:37 24 Jun 06

A router isn't "installed" either as hardware or as software in a PC, so it won't appear anywhere. The network adapter that connects to it is what is shown in Device Manager.

BODS 21:18 11 Jul 06

hi, thanks to all you guys who have helped now have blueyonder shared with 2 pcs , but cannot get pcs to shre printer/folders.
pcs xp/98se when clicking on either pc ie on winxp pc. select pc2win98 from my network, message says canot access pc2win98. also on win98 pc cannot see pc1winxp
anyone to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…