connect 2 mics to laptop ?

Tim1964 17:36 19 Nov 07

I'm looking at recording my school's carol concert to then put onto CD.

What's the best (cheapest) way of connecting 2 mics to hopefully have some kind of stereo. I have seen USB sound cards but I'm definitely not after 5.1 surround. :D

The mics I have come with the usual larger mono 6.3mm jacks on them. Would a 6.3 to 3.5mm converter work and how would the 'stereo' bit work if 2 were connected with a socket doubler?

Any help appreciated.

DieSse 18:34 19 Nov 07

click here

is a good write-up on the issue of connecting proper mics to computer sound cards.

Whether the input to your sound card is stereo or mono only will depend on the sound card.

Plugging two mics into a socket doubler will definitely NOT give you stereo sound - and may give you other problems.

Tim1964 19:09 19 Nov 07

Thanks for the reply.

Some light reading there :D

The problem I'm finding is that there is no 'line in' on the laptop so I will have to use the microphone input.

wee eddie 19:30 19 Nov 07

Try an External Sound Card. However the Software you use will be just as important, also the Mics should be a matched pair or at the least the same model.

woodchip 19:50 19 Nov 07

Just buy a Stereo Mic, Two Mics will not give Stereo. They have to matched for Stereo. Frequency is different on both mics The DM-50 Stereo mic is what you need but not cheap at £150

woodchip 20:02 19 Nov 07
  wee eddie 13:18 20 Nov 07

I beg to differ

woodchip 22:08 20 Nov 07

In what way? showme proof

DieSse 00:33 21 Nov 07

Of course two mics can give stereo - that used to be the way it was always done. To give the best sound they need to be very similar - but matched mics are only required for very high quality work. Two mics of the same make and type would do just fine - two mics with similar characteristics, but different makes and types would also work OK. We're not talking Hi-Fi here.

The biggest problem is how to get two mics of a suitable type into the laptop - or more easily, one stereo mic into it.

Personally I would record onto a mini-disc or similar recorder. I can't see why it's worth going to the inconvenience of doing it via a laptop. It can be transferred later if mp3 or CD audio is needed as the final medium.

umbongo(uk) 02:28 21 Nov 07

hey trial and error so i suggest giving it a shot
mics
click here

to connect
click here

problem conecting its the 1/4 inch fitting youll have to get a reducer
click here
look for mono 3.5mm jack plug to mono 6.3mm, 1/4in jack socket adapter A mono 3.5 jack male plug to a mono 6.3mm, 1/4in jack female socket coupler.6,3mm jack female stereo
then plug em into the laptop

could be done cheaper by getting 2 mics just using a dual jack plug
again from same web page above
A 3.5mm stereo jack male plug to two 6.35mm stereo jack female sockets adapters

so youd just plug both mics in to dual socket and then plug into laptop

you can get dual as above tht are dual female3.5 with a 1 x 3.5 male

hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…