conime

highside 11:48 28 Mar 09

Anyone know all about C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe ?
Advanced system care said it should be removed as dangerous spyware, I think it's something to do with Asian languages?
However a web search produces conflicting advice.
ie some say remove it others say its an important part of windows.
I have Vista Home Premium.

birdface 12:30 28 Mar 09

See what you mean.Some say its a genuine windows program.And this one says different.

click here

highside 12:49 28 Mar 09

Followed your link and also followed it thru to Anonymous Surfing which gave me an insight into my exact location etc without me asking - worrying.
I actually deleted conime.exe via Windows Care but it came back when I switched on again and still reappears even after shutting down/restarting sys restore???

birdface 12:57 28 Mar 09

A bit worrying.Mine came back as wellingborough which is 14 miles away.No phone number though.Maybe try running Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.They are two of the best freebies.

beynac 12:58 28 Mar 09

Its a genuine Windows file in that location. The bad file is usually in a temp folder.

smoking44 13:57 28 Mar 09

Had this file in my system32 plus processes after installing a falsely named program.. This is not a valid Microsoft app. Delete this or rename it (ie conime.old) if in doubt with unlocker click here

mfletch 14:12 28 Mar 09

I have conime and it says its a Windows Application console IME

highside 08:49 30 Mar 09

buteman - could not instal Malwarebytes, seems to be one of the few things iv'e tried that Norton doesn't like and prevents the download.
I have spybot and ad-aware which run OK.

birdface 09:51 30 Mar 09

Spybot and ad-aware are sort of bottom of the list when dealing with Malware problems.It may just be a false positive does Norton find anything.
If your computer is still working Ok maybe better leaving it.
If not maybe switch Norton off and download the free version of Malwaebytes update it and run it.Or you can do a free scan with Nod 32[eset] and if nothing shows just forget it.

birdface 09:53 30 Mar 09

Nod 32 free scan.click here

carver 10:09 30 Mar 09

I also followed that link and it came back as Brighton not very close to where I live, only about 230 miles out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…