Confusion over Vista Business OEM downgrade

Why wont it work 16:26 18 May 09

Hey, I have got myself incredibly confused over downgrading Vista Business to XP Pro. Basically, I have some software that will only run on XP which I have need for. It would appear that because my laptop (Compaq) has Vista Business OEM on it that I have the right to downgrade this to good ol' XP Pro. click here

I am rather confused about how to go about this though, as it would appear I need an XP disk and COA (defeating the point of the 'free' downgrade?). My sister has a rather old Compaq laptop, which she still uses- but that has XP Pro, the COA and the disk.

I was wondering if I can install XP with that product key and disk- and then when activation is rejected, see if they'll activate it on the grounds that I want to invoke my downgrade rights? I can't really see how else to do it, as I'm not buying a new copy of XP when I'm entitled to a downgrade!

I was wondering what your thoughts on this would be. Thanks in advance

Fingees 17:26 18 May 09

If you are entitled to a free downgrade, contact Microsoft, and they should send you a disk, or a key to activate a downloaded version if available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…