Confusion over router type for wireless networking

ChrisDE 19:25 14 Jan 04

I have a new PDA (802.11b) and have decided to network this with my main PC using wireless and intend to share access to the net. I have ordered a Wireless network card (802.11g and backwards compatible) but understand that I will need a router if I intend to expand - say add the kids to the system. My network access is via an ISDN line. Can anyone please tell me what type of router I need. I think I've discounted ADSL but all the others seem to be labelled cable/broadband - will these still give all PCs on the network access to the web when my main PC is on???

jgosden 19:32 14 Jan 04

the problem is that most routers are for adsl. You can use internet connection sharing using an ad-hoc network which will share the internet, or if you can get broadband get it its great.

ChrisDE 20:47 14 Jan 04

Unfortunately where I live (in Germany) there aren't enough people in the area for the Telekom to install broadband. Ideally I want something that will work with what I've got but allow broadband when its either available here or when I move back to UK in the summer.

LeadingMNMs 20:59 14 Jan 04

I think you could use a wireless access point if all you want to do is share one computers connection with the others. The WPA could be connected to the computer with the ISDN connection.

LeadingMNMs 21:08 14 Jan 04

I've tried searching for ISDN wireless routers and most results seem to be for ADSL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…