Confusing Error Message

Southernboy 17:48 30 Aug 05

I did previously post this query, but I don't think I explained it properly.

In my computer I have drive D, which is a DVDRW, and Drive G, which is a Maxtor one-touch external hard drive.

In Event Viewer, I found the following error message:

"The device, \Device\Harddisk2\D,has a bad block"

As I discovered it some time after it happened and, as I am having difficulties with both these drives, I am unable to establish whether it refers to my second hard drive (harddisk2) the the DVDRW drive (Drive D).

Evesham tell me that Windows can refer to a disc drive as a hard drive, but I really need to be sure.

Can anyone decipher this, please?

Diodorus Siculus 17:55 30 Aug 05

Run scan disk (or whatever xp calls it) and see if there are any bad blocks on it.

Diodorus Siculus 17:56 30 Aug 05

On the second hard disk, I mean (and each partition on it if necessary).

Southernboy 18:27 30 Aug 05

It isn't possible to run ChkDsk on an external hard drive for reasons covered in another thread. It just doesn't work because USB is not loaded until after windows is loaded.

ade.h 19:19 30 Aug 05

Checkdisk can be run without the added options (with the two check boxes). That will, I think, allow it to run there and then rather than after a reboot. Only problem is, of course, that you miss out on the sector scanning.

The best option is to use a disk checking tool from Maxtor's website, or from others such as Western Digital. The WD tool that I use can check any brand of HDD. That might possibly show up any problems.

ade.h 19:25 30 Aug 05

I can't remember exactly what was mentioned during the course of your previous thread, but I'm still confused by the apparently mis-reported drive letter. May be of little significance, I don't know, but it is strange.

Diodorus Siculus 21:00 30 Aug 05

[quote]We have been here before[/quote]

Well, why not post a link to the previous discussion. Save me wasting my time posting something that has been said before.

Ancient Learner 21:10 30 Aug 05

I hesitate to get involved again, however, I am still amazed by it all. Could you please say what drives E and F are; if D is the DVD drive and G is the Maxtor drive.

watchful 21:21 30 Aug 05

I Googled this problem and several mentions turned up so it must be a recognized problem but, after reading through a few, I did not find a solution. You may wish to try this in case it throws anything up.

Southernboy 21:38 01 Sep 05

The previous link ran to four pages and was going around in circles (possibly because I did not explain myself too well) so I felt it best to make a fresh start. I did, however, refer to the previous link to avoid confusion.

Just to reiterate, I have no internet access on my own computer.

Southernboy 21:41 01 Sep 05

Drive E is the DVD ROM drive and drive F was the Iomega Zip drive, but is now in limbo. That is to say, although I have uninstalled ALL the Iomega software, drive F has now disappeared. I would have expected drive G to become drive F, but that has not happened. I now have no drive F showing in My Computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…