Confusing capacity figures in HD.

Meshuga 14:14 02 Jun 05

My OS is xp home sp2. Connected to my pc is an External 40 GB USB hard drive. This shows as having a total capacity of 37.3GB with a Free space of 37.2GB and used space of 65.6MB. However, if I double click on the F drive in "My Computer" it shows as empty. So what is the 65.6MB shown as used space. Any ideas please.

DieSse 14:19 02 Jun 05

If you set Explorer to show hidden and system files, you'll see what they are. Things like "System Volume Information" and "Recycler".

Meshuga 14:41 02 Jun 05

Thanks DieSse. Forgive my ignorance but how exactly do i locate Explorer. Are you referring to Internet explorer?

woodchip 15:27 02 Jun 05

There is also Restore to take into account as it does not show how much it is using

Meshuga 15:53 02 Jun 05

Thanks woodchip.

woodchip 15:58 02 Jun 05

For explorer press the Windows key+E

DieSse 16:59 02 Jun 05

Are you referring to Internet explorer?

No - Windows Explorer - it's in the menus as Explorer, or right-click on Start and select it from the context menu, or ad woodchip suggests. Then when it opens go to Tools - Folder Options - View - and look for the appropriate boxes - View Hidden Files and Folders and Hide Protected Opereating system Files .

Don't forget to change them back later if you wish to (safest).

Meshuga 17:36 02 Jun 05

Many thanks DieSse and woodchip for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…