Confused - RAM

wrg 12:36 21 Oct 07

My system shows that I have 1918mb of ram. I did a scan on crucial and it shows that I have 1512 mb of ram = 1*1gb & 1*512. I am a bit confused as I bought two 1gig modules from PC world. How can I be sure which is correct?

onboard graphics?

wrg 12:42 21 Oct 07

sorry adman 2 not sure what you mean

umbongo(uk) 12:54 21 Oct 07

do you use a seperate grafix card of are you using an onboard one

to find out right click on the desktop--propertie--settings--advanced--adapter this will tell you what grafix u are using post what it says or you can google it yourself, then we can confirm wether its onboard or seperate add in grafix card.if it is onboard that is the reason the ram is low, as onboard grafix can use upto 256mb of ram as its own

to find out your system ram right click my computer--properties--general
this will show cpu.. ram

wrg 13:20 21 Oct 07

right clicking on desktop does not give an option to go into properties. I am running vista basic if that makes any difference

Tim1964 13:24 21 Oct 07

Crucial does not always cope when scanning a Vista PC.

My Vista Basic shows the total RAM minus the onboard graphics of 64Mb.

wrg 13:29 21 Oct 07

Tim thanks for your response. So you think that Crucial could be wrong. It stated that I had removed one 512 module and replaced it with a 1gb one, but I definitely removed 2 modules and replaced them

im not sure about vista basic, but home premium will assign some ram for video, i dont know wether this does it without aero.
to find out if you have onboard graphics:
start> control panel> system> system> device manager (top right) and expand video adaptor.

the crucial scanner never worked correctly on my vista pc either.

gardener 13:47 21 Oct 07

This free programme should tell you how much RAM you have installed (it analyzes your hardware and software). It has no spyware or viruses so it's quite safe to use.

click here

wrg 13:51 21 Oct 07

adman

Thanks for your time. I do not get video adapter but I do get display adaptors and when I look in it, it tells me I have ATI radion express.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…