Confused! please help!

vikiki21 21:00 03 Feb 10

Hello, i appreciate this!

I have a netgear router in an old house with poor signal (except in the room the router is in) so I bought a belkin g universal repeater. I attached this via ethernet cable to a dlan ethernet plug in the kitchen and it picked up a signal absolutely fine......great! well not quite!

When I click on the signal bars on my task bar, I now have 2 available connection types both are the my home router named newlandsWiFi. One is the original poor wirelss signal and the other (presumably from the belkin) says excellent signal strength but is unsecured and only gives me limited access! any ideas? as obviously i would like to connect to the on with excellent strength! thanks!

oh by the way, as it says it is "unsecured" it is not asking for a security key (which I have) but am wondering why its access is only limited!?

retep888 22:16 03 Feb 10

You might have to configure the repeater on your computer first before it can talk to the router, refer to the instruction leaflet or cd or Belkin website.

Give it a distinguishable Ssid name from your original router and create a security key on the repeater as well.

Afterwards you can log on either connection depending on the signal strength.

retep888 22:16 03 Feb 10

You might have to configure the repeater on your computer first before it can talk to the router, refer to the instruction leaflet or cd or Belkin website.

Give it a distinguishable Ssid name from your original router and create a security key on the repeater as well.

Afterwards you can log on either connection depending on the signal strength.

retep888 22:17 03 Feb 10

For the twin posts.

vikiki21 22:34 03 Feb 10

The router is attached to the PC and I "autoconnected" it to the PC no probs at all. Will have a go at your idea though!

vikiki21 22:43 03 Feb 10

the only options on the instruction booklet are:

connecting as a wireless access point

or

Connect at a wireless extender using the autoconnect button (which i have already done)

What does "connect as a wireless access point" mean? sorry this is where i become v blond!

retep888 01:27 04 Feb 10

<<I attached this via ethernet cable to a dlan ethernet plug in the kitchen and it picked up a signal absolutely fine>>

Then you're connecting as a wireless access point,which I think might be a better choice since you said your router has poor signal.

Look in the instruction booklet on how to configure it as a wireless point,usually by plugging the Belkin to a PC via ethernet and type 192.168.2.xxx into the browser to log into the Belkin setup page.

Then enable wireless access point and set up a security password as the router.

Remember not to use the autoconnect method.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…