Confused about:blank

sattman 12:02 30 Jun 04

Can someone give me information "About:blank"

The address "About:blank" with a empty browser box comes into my Avert programme every time I access, it is stopped by Homepage Guard but it slows access down.
I do not see it in IE.

I at first thought it was a Virus but on checking and clicking on Internet options/home page it comes up as a option for alternative browser in Internet options under use blank.

Can anyone advise me.

SANTOS7 12:06 30 Jun 04

click here this should help

SANTOS7 12:07 30 Jun 04

in triplicate, oooh err!!!

Whaty 12:42 30 Jun 04

I use 'about blank' as my default home page, set in internet options.

I can see from the link provided by SANTOS7 (and I've seen references to it in other threads) that there is also a highjacker that sets your home page to 'about blank', how can you tell from the address bar if it's the highjacker or your default.?

Thanks,
Terry

sattman 12:52 30 Jun 04

Thanks Santos, I have allready looked at this information and about twenty other related sites.

Before I need to look at removing it I need to confirm I have the virus.

The question is about:blank appears to be the default for use blank option in internet options on my computor

Is this correct ?

And if so does the user:blank virus make use of it

Confab 12:54 30 Jun 04

Try changing your default page to say "Google" for example. Close down and re-open IE. If the default page stays at Google then all is ok. But if your default page goes to "about blank" then its probably been hijacked.

Mine was last night and despite Ad-Aware detecting 13 registry entries and telling me its removed them they re-appear on the next boot and I have no mysterious progs running!!

sattman 13:02 30 Jun 04

Well yes ok Confab

It is not a problem I can do as you say and I have Homepage Guard that comes in each time but the delay is both annoying and time consuming.

And if this is a virus I dont want it

From reading whaty's comment and others in other forums I am getting the idea that many are also confused By this.

Hopefully someone will enlighten us of the actual situation

Whaty 13:03 30 Jun 04

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens.. just relised I've been spelling 'hijacked' incorrectly, oops..!

sattman 19:33 30 Jun 04

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…