Confused about networking

Pererin 14:49 24 Sep 05

Briefly folks- I am buying a computer for my son, but I have not a clue about connectios between computers. Thinking of wireless system for ease of installation, but just what do these routers do in all. Need to interconnect computer, printer,scanner and internet so HELP ! Please take note all replies in Key Stage 1 form, as I am not too clever on in this subject.If it helps I have a NVIDIA nForce MCP networking controller in my computer and what do I need in the new machine, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 24 Sep 05

click here have a read then post back here any further questions.

Forum Editor 16:38 24 Sep 05

1. Two or more computers, each with a wireless network adapter installed. To make it easy you can buy USB adapters that simply plug into a USB port, but if you're not averse to opening a computer's case you can install a PCI card adapter for slight better performance. A laptop needs a PCMCIA card adapter - if it doesn't already have wireless network access built in.

2. A wireless router. This enables one computer to see, and access files on another machine, and you can transfer files between machines. If you buy a router with a built-in ADSL modem you can share a broadband internet connection between the networked computers. Alternatively, you can use a non-modem-equipped router with an existing Ethernet broadband modem.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Pererin 20:15 24 Sep 05

Thanks Fruit Bat and Forum Editor, let me see if I've understood so far. The diagrams explained a great deal and I now know that a router allows one computer to see another, so am I correct that a router with modem in takes care of all the action between machines? If I've got this right then what must I have installed in the new computer to recieve signals and other than pluging the router in to my existing machine do I need anything else, I ask this as I have not a clue what a PCI card is and think I may be misinterperating your advice. Thanks for help .

mgmcc 01:03 25 Sep 05

<<<The diagrams explained a great deal and I now know that a router allows one computer to see another, so am I correct that a router with modem in takes care of all the action between machines?>>>

The purpose of a router is to allow multiple computers to have simultaneous internet access with a single broadband connection. Normally, this also allows the computers connected to it to share Files & Printers - one notable exception I'm aware of is the BT Voyager 2100 which DOES NOT support File/Printer sharing.

Internet, Files and Printers can be shared without a router, by using Windows' built-in "Internet Connection Sharing" facility, but this does mean that the Host PC (the one connected to the internet) must be online for the Client PC to have internet access.

I am not aware of any way to share a "scanner" over a network, normally only the Internet, Folders and Printers can be shared.

Pererin 19:45 26 Sep 05

Thanks one and all, it now makes a bit more sense. If I think of anything else doubtless I shall be back to pick your brains again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…