Confused about Motherboard and package

ACOLYTE 19:43 03 Mar 08

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my pc and i found this package click here

i think its quite a good package for the £150 price tag,i am not sure though on whether this board can support more than one CPU at a time and also if i can add 2 pci-e cards as it only has the one pci-e slot.I know it has on board graffix but i am planing on getting 2 pci-e card's as the finances permit so that doesn't bother me.

cheap6 20:51 03 Mar 08

err it has 2 pci e slots if you expand the picture.

woodchip 21:03 03 Mar 08

am not sure though on whether this board can support more than one CPU at a time . It's a Duo CPU supplied with Duo CPU and as abov two PCI slots the white ones

Quiller. 21:08 03 Mar 08

It has just one pci-e graphics slot, so it will take just one graphics card.

It will just take one cpu. The cpu is dual core and not the motherboard to take two cpu's.

So thats one graphics card and one cpu.

Quiller. 21:10 03 Mar 08
  ACOLYTE 21:33 03 Mar 08

Thank you for clearing that up i was not sure if it was 2 cpus or not,it would have been a great package if it had been a dual cpu motherboard and cpu's combined.
As it is its still a nice price/package.

woodchip 23:29 03 Mar 08

That's what it is, a Dual Motherboard and CPU

Stuartli 23:36 03 Mar 08

The only dual processor motherboards that I'm aware of were in the late 1990s and supported both a Pentium Slot1 and Socket 370 Celeron processor (not both at the same time!)

I'm aware of this because I bought an Elite Computer systems (ECS) P6BXT-A+ motherboard that was the first in the world to support the feature.

A dual core (or triple or quad core) processor uses the one socket; personal preference would be very much for an Intel CPU.

However, if you have a look at Novatech's website, you may very well find some even better packages...:-)

Totally-braindead 23:44 03 Mar 08

I agree with woodchip, it appear to me that you are confused about dual CPUs. Dual CPUs are essentially 2 processors on one chip. You can get boards that do take two seperate processors but I've never seen one and they are mainly for servers and are probably rather expensive. Even if they are not theres no advantage for you have 2 seperate processors.

What you want is a motherboard that accepts dual core processors and has 2 PCIE slots. Now one word of warning about the 2 graphics cards, there are 2 types Crossfire which is for ATI cards only and SLI which is for Nvidia cards only. So check before you buy, if its a Nvidia card you are fitting you need SLI not Crossfire. And vice versa. And either board SLI or Crossfire will work fine with one card of either make but won't if you want to use 2 graphics cards.

Heres the motherboard click here and you will note there is only ONE PCI Express slot so you cannot fit 2 graphics cards anyway.

Fingees 09:49 04 Mar 08

I have always found Novatedh one of the best.

click here

Totally-braindead 13:19 04 Mar 08

The advantage as far as I am concerned about the Novatech bundles are they include the memory as well. You get the motherboard, the processor and the RAM all fitted and tested and ready to go.

If its a PC running Vista then I would get one with 2 gig of RAM.

And if you want to use 2 PCI Express cards pay attention to the description. Graphics cards need PCI Express x16 slots, the PCI Express x1 slots are for something completly different.

Appologies if you know this already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…