Confused About Memory

almara 14:46 13 Sep 06

I was thinking of upgrading the RAM on my computer which I understood was currently 512MB. I downloaded a freeware programme - “Belarc Advisor” which does a complete scan of the computer and reports on everything which is installed. I did this to try and establish what scope there was for extra RAM. The report tells me that there is 512MB of installed memory and that there are 4 memory slots (2 banks of 2) with a maximum capacity of 4096MB. However, and this is where I get confused, it says that slot A0 has 128MB, slot A1 has 4096MB and slots A2 and A3 are empty. This would make me think that the total installed memory is 4224MB which is more than the maximum. The motherboard is MSI MS-6747. I also did a further scan using Crucial.com and it came up with the same memory configuration. Can anyone explain what memory I have and what scope there is for expansion?

silverous 14:54 13 Sep 06

Sounds like it is confused. Why don't you open the case and take a look to confirm?

Smiler 15:00 13 Sep 06

So it's a medion 3000 from aldis apparently there is no info online and MSI don't list it.
It's made for Medion.

What does windows say about your memory??

Right click on My Computer and then click properties. Your computer details should be shown on that page.

almara 16:02 13 Sep 06

Thanks - Windows says 512MB RAM.

silverous 17:09 13 Sep 06

I'll say again "Why don't you open the case and take a look to confirm?"

ed-0 17:43 13 Sep 06

I personally don't like belark, I think it's not 100% accurate.

Try cpu-z click here. Look under the SPD tab for your memory and use the drop down box to check for each memory slot.

ed-0 17:49 13 Sep 06

ps

the manual for the MSI MS-6747

direct link. click here=

ed-0 18:03 13 Sep 06

read the manual carefully. You can use dimm 1 seprateley or with dimm 2 to run a pair of memory moduels.

If you decide to use dimm3, then you must match that with a stick of memory for dimm4. You cannot use dimm's 3 and 4 with out populating dimm's 1 and 2 first.

If that is unclear and you need a further explanation, post back.

Smiler 18:33 13 Sep 06

"If you decide to use dimm3, then you must match that with a stick of memory for dimm4. You cannot use dimm's 3 and 4 with out populating dimm's 1 and 2 first."

According to page 2-8 of the above manual you can use just dimm3 and dimm4

Line 5 of the table (counted including heading) shows dimm1 empty dimm2 empty dimm3 128MB-1GB dimm4 128MB-1GB

You must populate either half in pairs or put (one dimm in dimm1 and one dimm in dimm3) or (one dimm in dimm2 and one dimm in dimm4)

ed-0 18:39 13 Sep 06

yes, you are right.

almara 19:26 13 Sep 06

Thanks for all the replies. I downloaded CPU-Z and it tells me that there is 256MB DDR on each of slots 1 & 3 with slots 2 & $ being empty which makes more sense although I'm still puzzled as to why both Belarc and Crucial are telling me something different. However,if I understand the posts and the manual if I buy a pair of 256MB cards I should be able to populate slots 2 & 4 to give me 1Gb in total. Alternatively I may have to reinstall the existing cards in slots 1 & 2 and pair the new cards in slots 3 & 4. Have I got it right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac