//some 3rd party need geo

Confused about laptop internet connection

mansley_baby 19:27 28 Nov 05

I currently have a broadband modem (wanadoo) connected to my pc. For christmas i am having a laptop, and i want to know how to connect this to the broadband so that i can use it anywhere in the house

mansley_baby 20:07 28 Nov 05

i shlould also add that i dnt think the laptop has built in wireless

mco 20:27 28 Nov 05

If it doesn't have built-in wireless then you either need a wireless card that should slot into a space on one side of the laptop(check if there is one) or else a little thingie that slots into one of the usb ports -again to do the same job of picking up the wireless signal. Your pc needs to be wireless enabled too

ade.h 20:54 28 Nov 05

I've not seen any laptops currently on the market that don't have wi-fi capability. What model is it?

mansley_baby 21:20 28 Nov 05

Its acer Tm2412LM. . . . something like that

I dnt think it is wireless anyways, im nt sure

ade.h 21:30 28 Nov 05

click here;jsessionid=0CE04551FDA39618199B23747266BC38?dau22.oid=11615&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=1447266038 Is that it? They all have 11g wireless LAN.

ade.h 21:34 28 Nov 05

Whoops! Broken link and the tread's been messed up. Anyway, I've run it through TinyURL now click here

ade.h 21:34 28 Nov 05

tread? Er, I meant thread :-(

mansley_baby 22:11 28 Nov 05

ohhh so it has wirless. so wot do i do to connect it to the broadband modem thing so that i can use it anywhere in the home then

ade.h 22:23 28 Nov 05

There are various options open to you:

An ad-hoc network that uses a network card in the desktop and no router. This requires the host to be switched on with a user account running and the ISP connection running if you want net access on the laptop.

A modem/router. This will connect to the desktop through an ethernet cable or wifi, so it can be placed on any phone socket. ADSL can be accessed on any PC without any other PCs running.

Or a wired link between the two, which works like an ad-hoc network.

Post a question in the network forum to find out more. I'm fairly new to wifi myself.

ade.h 22:27 28 Nov 05

Most laptops and quite a lot of desktops have an ethernet port (it looks like a modem socket but slightly bigger). The necessary capability is easily added to a desktop PC; either a wifi card or an ethernet card, both in PCI fitting. What you need to buy and what setup you'd like depends on your desktop's current spec.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…