confused about ip address

grumgenhoff 00:02 24 Sep 07

I have recently done a recovery on my acer laptop..reinstalled my belkin wireless card which is connecting ok but when it tries to acquire an ip address it seems to be getting the wrong one....any ideas please?

ambra4 00:47 24 Sep 07

Not to sure what you mean by wrong IP address

have you set up the wireless card SSID address etc

check this site on setting up wireless system

4 steps to set up your home wireless network

click here

grumgenhoff 10:37 24 Sep 07

everything seems to be set right..the card ssid address is right but I tried it again and it won't acquire the ip address at all...the first time the address that appeared was not my ip address

recap 11:02 24 Sep 07

click here to find out what your IP address is. If you have a dynamic IP address this may have been changed by your ISP.

grumgenhoff 11:16 24 Sep 07

ok I click on the link and the ip address it tells me I have is not right...also it says I'm in USA...I'm in Ireland

grumgenhoff 11:16 24 Sep 07

ok I click on the link and the ip address it tells me I have is not right...also it says I'm in USA...I'm in Ireland

Devil Fish 21:42 25 Sep 07

ok you are connecting wirelssly through a router you will effectevly have 2 ip adresses

1st a private internal adress allocateed by the router probably something along the lines of 192.168.x.xxx

you will then have a second ip adress allocated by your internet service provider which will be totaly different from your internal adresss

to see the different ones

for internal ip click start then run type in cmd then click ok / in the black box type ipconfig
this will display your internal ip

to see your internet ip go to somewhere like sheilds up click here scroll down a bit and you will see your internet ip (note if you turn your router off it will change)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac