confused?

Daisy22 18:45 23 Feb 06

after looking at all the links to check out specifications for new PC's, I'm pretty much decided that I would like 1,024 mb ram and 160 kb hard drive

however, i'm confused about which processor to go for after checking the forum

I'm used to a pentium 4 (which is now 4 years old) so should I opt for a Sempron 3100 or an Athlon 3200? Which is best please

My printer always tells me when I use it that it would work better in a high speed 2.0 usb hub, do most PC's these days have those as standard

Thanks for all the previous help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 23 Feb 06

What you need depends on what you want to do with it.

Video editing, large HDD and lots of memory

Gaming fast, processor and top of the range graphics card.

etc.

howard63 18:49 23 Feb 06

the standard now for pcs is usb2 if a pc still has only usb1.1 it is a very old stock one. As to the chip if you have decided on AMD your best bet is the socket 939 as the socket 754 appears to be the one that is now being replaced. Sempron is the cut down cheap equivalent to the celeron. Go for the best chip you can afford.

007al 19:02 23 Feb 06

Also depends on how much you want to pay and if you want monitor etc included

Daisy22 19:03 23 Feb 06

I will be using the internet, email, messaging, using word, photographs, scanning and DVD/CD/RW.

I don't play games but I still get emails that I need graphics to open.

I use the VOIP/SKYPE telephone systems, and that's about it really.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 23 Feb 06

Have a look at the Superbuget PCs in this months (April) PCA mag they will do all you need and more for £600 Issue 129 on sale 16 February 2006
CD version £3.80 / DVD version £4.99 click here

mattyc_92 19:41 23 Feb 06

160 kb??? I hope you mean 160 MB.... lol

I would go for the AMD as they actually are quicker (even if the intel processor is 2ghz and the AMD is, the AMD would be slightly quicker as it is accessed differently)

Pamy 19:43 23 Feb 06

see Daisy22's original thread in absolute beginners for budjet and spec

mattyc_92 19:43 23 Feb 06

MB??? GB..... hmmm

Daisy22 20:07 23 Feb 06

Sorry, all these GB, MB or whatever bytes, I told you I was confused!

One of the computer shops suggested the Athlon 3200 or the Sempron 3100.

I mean 160 gb (currently I've got 60 gb) and I would like 1024 mb ram (currently i've got 768 mb). No monitor, just PC with XP installed.

I just need to know what compares best with Pentium 4

Thank you for all your help

Totally-braindead 20:12 23 Feb 06

Without bringing the dual core chips into the conversation the Athlon 64 is roughly equivalent to the Pentium 4 and the Sempron is roughly equivalent to the Celeron. The latter 2 are the budget chips from AMD and Intel.
So to answer your question you would compare a Athlon to a Pentium 4 its not fair to compare either to a Sempron as its a budget chip and its a bit slower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…