conflicts with Firefox

genus 10:33 29 Nov 08

I am constantly getting the following error message: Firefox has encounted a problem and must close. When I click for further information it tells me it is in C\Docume~\Stuart\Locals~1\Temp\appcompat.txt, then a number which changes each time. It also gives me the option to Debug, send report to Microsoft or dont send. I have tried this but it's not worked.

I am on Widows xp sp2. I am using Firefox 3.0.4 and for the last couple of months the problem has been getting worse. I am using Yahoo for my emails and the error message is coming up when I open almost every email. I am also getting the same problem when I browse the internet. I am using AVG8, and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Any advice please as I am now desperate!

iscanut2 11:02 29 Nov 08

Not sure if it will help, but you could uninstall current version and install an earlier version of Firefox and see what happens. click here

DieSse 12:11 29 Nov 08

I was getting similar problems until I removed some of the latest add-ons I'd tried. Now all sweetness and light - but not sure what was the culprit.

genus 10:05 30 Nov 08

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help and will give your suggestions a try.

Many thanks.

genus 16:56 08 Dec 08

We recently posted a problem with Firefox, error message, Firefox has encountered a problem and has to close. We seem to have resolved the problem which seems to have been caused by the new AVG8 Free version which has something new called Link Scanner. Once we disabled this, our problem disappeared.

We hope this may help anybody else with a similar problem.

Thanks for all your advice.

Genus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…