Conflicting Security ???

Nick.A 19:14 PM 03 Jul 11

On my PC I have running ‘McAfee Security Scan Plus’ and, as part of my BT broadband package, ‘BT NetProtect Plus’, which is run jointly with McAfee. My question is, is this combination superfluous or do they even interfere with each other? Would it be wise to uninstall ‘McAfee security Scan Plus’?

northumbria61 21:46 PM 03 Jul 11

You don't need both that's for sure - you will certainly get a conflict. Make your choice and uninstall one of them.

rdave13 21:52 PM 03 Jul 11

I don't think so. McAfee Security Scan Plus checks that you have a Firewall, Antivirus and antispyware running and it will inform you if one fails.

BT NetProtect Plus contains those security programs " in association with McAfee® ". So they go 'hand in glove'.

If you are happy paying for internet security then they're OK.

northumbria61 22:16 PM 03 Jul 11

Nick.A - Apologies if I have mislead you but I appear to have been given the wrong information recently - I queried this same thing for a friend with a local computer shop and the advice was to remove one. Go with rdave13 advice.

Snrub 22:23 PM 03 Jul 11

I run both without conflict. There is also a program called McAfee Virtual Technician which can be downloaded from the McAfee website which does a check that McAfee is working properly with all required updates and automatically reports and fixes errors.

Nick.A 06:48 AM 04 Jul 11

Thanks guys, that was helpful. I’ll leave both on my PC. The reason why I asked is because my computer races and is very slow from time to time – but that is another question for another thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…