conflict with file extensions

six-h 14:40 16 Nov 06

I have been using cyberlink Power Producer to make Photo slide shows which are saved as videos with a ".ppp" extension.
Recently I installed Serif Page Plus 8.00 which has taken over the ".ppp" extension and now insists on opening these video files. Correcting the prefered program, opens the files which seem to be intact, but they won't play.
Can I assign my own extensions or should I forget about using Page Plus, which I am finding a bit unfriendly anyway??

bof:) 15:06 16 Nov 06

Serif online technical support.

click here

have you ticked to allow Page Plus to be the default program for all your video files?

Mike

Simsy 15:58 16 Nov 06

This means that 2 different programmes are creating different types of files, but giving them the same extension.

That's rather a nuscience!

I would suggest that you select one of the video ppp files and choose open with... Slect PowerProducer and tick the !always use this programme box.

This will make PowerPlus the default for PPP files...

Then change the file extention for the PagePlus files to something else, (.ppl perhaps??). Select one of these and go through the same process, choosing PagePlus as the programme.

The only problem that should remain is that new apgePlus files will try and give the extention .ppp I'm pretty sure that you can overcome this by putting the name, with extention, in quotes when you create a new file, eg "newsletter.ppl" and choosing "all files" from the dropdown.

I've just tried it with Page Plus 11 and that works.

It's just an unfortunate conflict it seems!

Good luck,

Regards.

Simsy

six-h 13:28 21 Nov 06

bof:), Thanks for the link (I must find out how you do that one day!) I've posted a query there.
Re Ticking default, I didn't get the chance the software just loaded with no options.
Simsy, Tried always open with, but the other programs logo remains!! I will try inventing a new file extension, didn't know we were allowed to do that, Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…