Confirming my Internet connection.

Daibus 11:57 08 Aug 03

I am looking after a friends house and he has kindly let me have the use of a computer, but I had to configure the settings before I could go online.

How can I tell that I am using an ADSL broadband connection and not a 56k dial up modem.
The double screen Internet logo is not visible in the notification area so I am unsure of the connection, but the phone is in use when I am online so I presume all is OK, but I would like to be absolutely sure. He has Windows 98 installed.

Thank you for your help.

Jester2K II 11:58 08 Aug 03

When you pick the phone up can you hear sounds? If so you are on Dial Up Networking.

Also does it take 30 seconds or so to connect? If so you are on Dial Up Networking.

Daibus 12:05 08 Aug 03

Jester2k II

Cheers Jester, but how do I make the small double screen Internet logo visible, so I can be absolutely sure, as well as maybe check the details etc.

With thanks.

Djohn 12:07 08 Aug 03

As Jester2K II says, if while on-line you can hear a diling tone on the phone and make/receive calls, then the PC is connected via Broadband.j.

Djohn 12:10 08 Aug 03

With mine, it's two vertical green arrows pointing in opposite directions, No double screens as with dial-up. j.

Djohn 12:13 08 Aug 03

Can you explain more on, [but I had to configure the settings before I could go online.] as you should not have needed to do anything, except click on the connect Icon?

Daibus 12:15 08 Aug 03

Djohn

How can I make these symbols or similar visible in my notification area.?

Daibus 12:18 08 Aug 03

Djohn

Yes, the owner of the house connected up for me another computer, not his regular one, and the configuration settings were not fully installed on this other computer.

deadneat 12:25 08 Aug 03

Er if you download a file and it comes down very fast then you can assume you are on broadband.
Try ringing the phone from your mobile whilst online.

Djohn 12:34 08 Aug 03

Not sure on this. But has the PC was set up for you and not the one normally used, then it may need software installing, and a connection made through a broadband modem of one type or another. But as said above, if you can surf and call at same time, and there are not two telephone lines to the house, you must be using his B/B connection. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…