Configuring XP Lan/ethernet

Allan RISC OS user 14:38 27 May 04

I have a Lan connection via a cross over cable, it is working fine, on my AMD PC running Me. However I now have a new computer with XP Home and am not able to confirgure it to run the same LAN over the same cable.( the Me computer is not and will not be used).So there will only be the two computer on the network.

The other computer on the network is a RISC PC running Risc Os 4.3 (do not be frightened it is not that bad).

The Domain is MY.home,
IP Address for PC 10.1.1.50 AMDPC.my.home
IP Address for RiscPc 10.1.1.51 RISCPC.my.home
WINS Configuration = disable WINS Resolution
DNS Configuration = Enable DNS
Host = AMCPC
Domain = my.home

Whilst I believe I know what to configure and where, I am not able to find the relevent screens to allow this, or if I do it still does not function.

I have amended the LMHosts and Hosts files in the System 32 folder by adding ...

127.0.0.1 Local host
10.1.1.50 AMDPC.My.Home AMDPC
10.1.1.51 RISCPC.my.home RISCPC
Pings are as follows.

The ping 127.0.0.1 give 0% packet loss
But Ping 10.1.1.50 times out.
and Ping 10.1.1.51 100% packet loss

But if I switch off the RISC PC the Local Area Connection icon give a message that the Network Cable is unplugged.

Help Please,

I know this may sound very confusing but ....!

recap 14:55 27 May 04

XP has a network connection wizard that should help you set up your network. The problem may lie with the cross platform.

For a step by step guide on networking XP click here

The 127.0.0.1 is the local machine and the result is normal.

Stuartli 15:08 27 May 04

XP's Help and Support also has very comprehensive assistance for networking etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…