Configuring Win XP Home

TamiZ 15:24 03 Jan 05

I used to run Windows ME on my old computer and had no problems with running MS Office 2000, AOL 9 on a cable broadband connection, e-Trust firewall and AV programmes, Registry Mechanic, Bicycle board games, scrabble, mahjong and solitaire games. This computer had a normal CD drive (read-only for playing of audio CD's mainly) and floppy disc drive.

I now have a new computer with XP loaded. It doesn't really like AOL9 (many problems with trying to set the connection), Office 2000 (keeps terminating the application whilst its in use), the eTrust firewall kept saying it couldn't find its dll file so I've had to uninstall it and just use the Windows firewall (which was previously switched off). A lot of my games run really slow and the dice/playing pieces move at a crawl). I successfully copied some files onto a rewritable CD once but then when trying to use it again, I was tolsd it was only a read-only disc (using Nero)and it wouldn't allow it me at access the files at all unless it uninstalled and reinstalled the programee (Nero that is). My internet connection seems to be permanently on, though I don't want it to be be - help!!!!

bretsky 16:27 03 Jan 05

Sounds like you have sp2 with your xp click here
You need to get updates from m/s and poss Nero and your other programs, because some programs are not compatible with sp2, as for your internet connection, need more details.
Sp2 is very much security based not just for the internet but programs in general, it is constantly checking the security of various file systems, so the overall performance will be slower.
Try and deal with one problem at a time.

bretsky ;0)

Technotiger 16:31 03 Jan 05

Hi, XP's Firewall is not 100% secure - I would advise Downloading/Installing Zone Alarm which is much better. Also AVG anti-virus and Ad-AwareSE Personal too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…