Configuring printer to a network

Soy (AKA tran1) 23:56 07 Apr 03

Hi,

I have just set up a network for my 2 PC's with a network starter Kit. I have managed to setup the network and can see each others files. Pc's run windows XP and 98SE.

The printer is a Lexmark X83 and is connected to the main machine running windows XP. Have just configured the printer to be Shared.

When accessing the printer from the second machine, it tells me to set up the printer drivers for it. Problem is, The printer driver installation procedure, requires me to plug in the USB printer so it can detect it, otherwise, it won't continue.

I have tried just pointing the printer network wizard to the folder containing the driver but it can't seem to find anything it wants.

Is there anyway for me to do this?

PS: Sorry for posting alot of questions!

JOHN T

jazzypop 00:29 08 Apr 03

Two methods...

1. On the XP PC, go to Start > Printers & faxes, right-click the Lexmark and choose Properties. Click the Sharing tab, and click the Additional Drivers button, add the W98 driver from there.

2. Connect the Lexmark to the W98 PC, install the drivers. Then disconnect and re-connect it to the XP PC

Soy (AKA tran1) 00:39 08 Apr 03

HAve tried doing your first method. When I go through the procedure, the win98 driver box doesn't get checked.

I'm thinking becuase the X83 driver also sets up X83 control programs and stuff and isn't just a bare bones driver.

I will try your second method tomorrow morning. One thing that about this method: Once the printer is unplugged from the PC and plugged back into my Xp machine, won't the 98SE machine try and look for the printer in the USB rather than through the network?

Thanks again jazzypop!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…