Configuring the ol' Wi-fi

chrishillcoat 22:36 23 Jul 03

Hi all,

My dad got a new tablet PC from work (yes yes, I know, it's loverly) which has integrated wi-fi. Originally it assigned itself an IP address from our router and worked fine, but then he set it up to log in to his work's network, which screwed the settings.

I've been manually configuring the settings to match the ones both on the desktop PC and the tablet when I plug Ethernet into it, but I can't seem to define everything. Specifically, how can I define the DHCP server (it's the same as the default gateway and DNS server) and the lease dates? These are the only differences between the devices.

Thanks very much,
Chris Hillcoat

jazzypop 22:55 23 Jul 03

As I haven't yet used one of these exotic beasts, I can't be sure - but I believe that networking is the same as XP. click here for a fix. Note that, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot setup a laptop to work with 2 separate DHCP servers.

The trick is to set it up to use one - then, when it can't find that one (as it is on the 'other' network), it defaults to a pre-defined IP address. The 'other' network's router/server must be setup to automatically allow the pre-defined IP address.

chrishillcoat 09:07 24 Jul 03

The problem is that I can't set it up to use either! But I know what I'll try - taking it out of range of our network and bringing it back in again - that way the DHCP might assign it a proper IP again.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…