Configuring Norton Firewall with home network

acrobat270 08:44 15 Mar 03

Have just established a small wireless network between a pc and laptop (both windows xp).

Can file.printer share and share internet acces so all good...
...until switch on Norton Personal Firewall to protect my host computer when connected to dial up internet. This stops the laptop beinf able to connect to the network.

Any clues?

powerless 08:53 15 Mar 03

You have to tell Norton to allow the laptop to access the network as it is stopping it doing so (obviosuly). It is treating the laptop as one of the millions of machines around the world.

I do not use Norton myself. So what if what i say next makes no sense to you someone with Norton will come along and tell you :-)

Within Norton, there might be "Zones" you have to tell norton the IP Address of the laptop to allow the laptop to connect.

Micken 09:17 15 Mar 03

I use same software on home network, server with Norton firewall, second PC and laptop. You need to let software know IP address of laptop and allow access. If you can't do this post specific point at which you need help. You need to follow personal firewall>home network>trusted, and put IP address of laptop in there.

Let me know how you get on.

Bebee 09:19 15 Mar 03

I have just done this. There are instructions in the Norton help files - I think I looked for sharing or home network. You need to select Personal Firewall in the management the screen you get when you double click the system icon on your task bar. Double-click or select configure. Select Advanced tab and click General Rules. Find the rule which blocks Microsoft File Sharing and modify it to allow access. I also moved it to the top of the list to stop it being over-ridden by other rules.
Hope this helps.

acrobat270 19:40 16 Mar 03

Powerless, BeBee and Micken,

Many thanks for your swift responses.
Having tried to maually configure Personal Firewall with no success followed Bebee's advice and located the wizard which has sorted things out for me superbly. Everythiong is now working fine.

Once again, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…