Configuring Microsoft Updates-Problems

peterleay 09:34 16 Feb 09

Some automatic microsoft downloads have created a problem. When I booted up I got the message "Configuring updates Stage 3 of 3 - 87% complete". Then the computer [Vista system] closes itself down and restarts and the same thing happens - repeatedly.It never moves beyoond 87%. I turned off the pc manually and restarted in 'Safe Mode', but this made no difference.
Anyone got any ideas what I can do please?
Thanks.

Graham. 09:46 16 Feb 09

Control Panel, System, Advanced system settings, Startup and Recovery, Settings, uncheck Automatically restart, check Write an event...

OK, Apply, OK.

peterleay 10:20 16 Feb 09

Thanks Graham - but how do I get to the control panel because the computer stays on the configuration page and I can't get past that? Thanks . . .

birdface 10:33 16 Feb 09

Try pressing the Windows Key on the keyboard and see if that opens All programs.Is there any way of turning off automatic updates in the Bios.Never go in there myself so not sure.

peterleay 10:36 16 Feb 09

buteman - thanks I'll try that. I've always been advised never to go near Bios or registry - being a pc no-brainer! I just want a computer that works when you turn it on!!

birdface 16:11 16 Feb 09

Any luck yet.The only other thing that I can think of is maybe a system repair.But you would need to get advice from someone else for that.

peterleay 16:25 16 Feb 09

buteman ~ I tried the Windows button - nothing! Tried 'cntrl-alt-delete' - nothing!
Went to my local friendly [and usually good] computer repair shop and when I explained what was happening was met with a sharp intake of breathe, followed by "There's a virus going round pretending to be an official Microsoft update." !!
So I'm taking it in tomorrow ...
Thanks

birdface 16:48 16 Feb 09

Like I said a system repair may have fixed it.But if you do a reformat you may loose photos music and things like that.
Whats he going to charge probably about £40.I don't know why it is so quiet on here today there are usually quite a few that gives help.I was only filling in expecting someone else jump in with there words of wisdom.
probably watching the kids while they are on holiday or at work.
You may get a better response after tea.
If no help forthcoming best of luck to-morrow.

mobileman1953 17:00 16 Feb 09

might be same solution worth a try click here;EN-US;949358

Graham. 17:27 16 Feb 09

Link to MS click here

Graham. 17:32 16 Feb 09

Looks like your best chance is with a Windows installation disc.

I'm always wary of repair shops formatting the hard drive and re-installing windows as an easy option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…