configuring a laptop to router / modem

glamworld 15:52 16 Dec 05

hi please help how do i configure mylaptop to my modem/router, do i connect earthenet cable from router to laptop and run software cd? please help im not very technical im with aol and they cant seem to help

PaulB2005 15:52 16 Dec 05

"do i connect earthenet cable from router to laptop and run software cd?"

Yes. Is there not a manual?

glamworld 15:55 16 Dec 05

in manual it just says conigure laptop, so iam right in thinking i take earthnet cable from pc and connect to laptop?

PaulB2005 16:01 16 Dec 05

Can you describe exactly what you have and what you are doing? Is this a new installation or is the router already installed and working and you are adding the laptop?

woodchip 16:10 16 Dec 05

If you want Laptop to run wireless to have to go into the Router settings, If you do not have a computer connected by Ethernet cable to the router you will have to connect the Laptop with Ethernet Wire. Then you have to access the router settings, by starting IE in the instructions you get with the Router it will tell you a address to enter in IE address bar may be for wireless 192.168.1.1 then press enter to enter settings page, there is a SSID that you need to make a note of also your password, these need to be put in the Laptop WiFi Software settings.

glamworld 16:43 16 Dec 05

hi i have a home pc which is connected to a thomson speedtouch router 576 i purchased a lap top which is wireless my lap top picks up the siganl from the router but if i click on aol it treis to dial up, but im on braodband, so i now know i need to connect the earthenat cable to laptop which at minute is in the pc i wasnt sure what i did next aols manual just says configre "another pc/laptop" for wireless connection

glamworld 16:44 16 Dec 05

thanks to those replying i will certainley try what your telling me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…