Configuring Laptop for internet use away from home

sheila.weston 17:06 01 Apr 07

Could someone tell me how I can configure my laptop to get internet access from another telephone eg at my son's house?

Do I have to tell Tiscali? Or do I use my son's details - he is with another ISP? Can I still use the Tiscali contract?

I haven't set it up for internet access from my own telephone yet, but assume I just copy the details already in my main pc.

Thanks for any help.

Fingees 17:19 01 Apr 07

If it's broadband, you can use his account to access you email even though it's a differentISP.
Just connect to your ISP and enter email, password etc.

I have two accounts that differ from my normal Bradband ISP. if you are on dialup pay as you go, you can dial from anywhere

FreeCell 17:22 01 Apr 07

If you are using dial-up internet connection then you need do nothing to your computer. Just use your son's telephone line as you would your own.

if you are using broadband and so is your son then you will need to connect via his ISP. To do this you will need to connect to his modem/router and using his ISP's settings.

If he has a router, rather than just a broadband modem, then you can connect to this by cable or wireless, depending on type.

sheila.weston 18:17 01 Apr 07

Many thanks.

Yes, I am on broadband. I have just realised that he is on dial-up. Presumably this means that he will be charged per minute for when I use it?

Is there any way in which I can use my broadband contract from his house?

Fingees 19:26 01 Apr 07

You can only use broadband where it is registered, and of course fitted at the exchange.

you cannot do it from a normal dial up.

The alternative is to use wireless broadband on your laptop, and connect at various hotspots which are all over the country.

you may have to buy time from them, but you can then connect wirelessly from various points, to your ISP when away from home I use bt openzone.

if you google that, you can find lists of hotspots .

Hope this helps

sheila.weston 20:53 01 Apr 07

Many thanks, Fingees. I'll use my son's pc to look at my emails online and keep the wireless option in mind for the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…