Configuring IDE Cables??

The_$@!nt 20:41 18 Apr 04

On my second IDE port I am going to have a DVD-Rom and a CD-RW, which should I put as master and which should I put as slave to get the best performance, or doesnt it matter??

SolvaWorld 21:19 18 Apr 04

Hi there go with the one whic runs of the memory. IE. If the DVD drive is 128mb minimum req and CD Drive is 96MB go with the DVD drive. In most cases its will the DVD anyway

SolvaWorld 21:20 18 Apr 04

Hi there go with the one whic runs of the memory. IE. If the DVD drive is 128mb minimum req and CD Drive is 96MB go with the DVD drive. In most cases its will the DVD anyway

Totally-braindead 21:32 18 Apr 04

Don't really understand what SolvaWorld means there about running off the memory. I setup my PC as follows IDE1 hard drive is master and the CD writer is slave. The DVD I put on IDE2 as master but it could be slave as far as I know it makes no difference as long as there is only 1 drive on the IDE cable. The reason its set this way is that my old CD writer was not burnproof and therefore when you copied a CD direct to the CD writer you could get buffer under-run errors which ruined your disk ( if they were both on the same IDE cable). Now I have a new cdwriter its not so important. The DVD I put on the second IDE cable away from the hard drive because when you are reading from the cdrom and its on the same IDE cable then it slows up the writing speeds because the hard drive and the DVD are trying to use the same IDE cable at the same time. Least ways this is what I was told and it works fine, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Totally-braindead 21:32 18 Apr 04

Don't really understand what SolvaWorld means there about running off the memory. I setup my PC as follows IDE1 hard drive is master and the CD writer is slave. The DVD I put on IDE2 as master but it could be slave as far as I know it makes no difference as long as there is only 1 drive on the IDE cable. The reason its set this way is that my old CD writer was not burnproof and therefore when you copied a CD direct to the CD writer you could get buffer under-run errors which ruined your disk ( if they were both on the same IDE cable). Now I have a new cdwriter its not so important. The DVD I put on the second IDE cable away from the hard drive because when you are reading from the cdrom and its on the same IDE cable then it slows up the writing speeds because the hard drive and the DVD are trying to use the same IDE cable at the same time. Least ways this is what I was told and it works fine, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Totally-braindead 21:33 18 Apr 04

Totally-braindead 21:34 18 Apr 04

Sorry about the 3 postings, is anyone else having this trouble as I notice a few postings are doubled or trebled?

fsbb 21:38 18 Apr 04

Best if possible to put optical drives on IDE2 away from HD. I have DVD on IDE2 as master and CDRW as slave. When both are in use they work fine.

temp003 07:27 19 Apr 04

With both devices being optical drives on the same IDE channel, it doesn't really matter which is master, which is slave. Despite the names, they have equal status. On the same IDE channel with 2 devices, only one device can be used for data transfer at one time. But usually there aren't enough IDE connections to put each device on a separate channel. If you're not into copying CDs on the fly often, keeping the optical drives on the same channel is a good idea.

Another thing, though not important at all, is which one you want as your 1st bootable CDROM. Usually the master is selected by BIOS as the 1st bootable CDROM.

After you install the optical drives, go into Device Manager and check the Properties of the secondary IDE channel. For both devices, select use DMA if available for the transfer mode (if not already) and click OK (unless that setting gives you problems - with recent CDROMs, it shouldn't be a problem).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…