Configuring Client Computer - ICS *PART TWO)

Samlebam 17:33 26 Nov 07

CONTINUED FROM ANOTHER THREAD

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-50-E4-DE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{75C992DF-6EA9-44F6-9379-D40690BBD
F25}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{65615EAB-3541-4F4E-87DA-B5915667D
66F}
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.1%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::e811:da40:ff78:a131%10
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Alice Fake is the PPPoE connection for the Internet.
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection is the one connected to the Internet.
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2 is connected to the ad-hoc network.

I should add that the router's IP address has been changed from the default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 to avoid IP clashes.

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kemistri 18:22 26 Nov 07

Your first posting talks about creating a peer-to-peer network, but this thread mentions a router. Which kind of network are actually aiming to use?

Samlebam 18:29 26 Nov 07

The router is connected to the ADSL modem so that more than one computer can connect at once wirelessly.

The problem has all stemmed from the fact that our ISP restricts the number of simultaneous PPPoE connections to two.. and there are three of us wanting to use the connection.

Ideally we'd have been able to sort this through our router, but whenever the modem is connected to the WLAN socket on the router, no Internet connection is available.

Therefore, what we're aiming to do is set up an ad-hoc network so that two laptops can use the one PPPoE connection simultaneously through ICS.

Hope that makes more sense.

Ashrich 18:36 26 Nov 07

What country are you in ? In the Uk , most ISP's use PPPoA , and as NAT is running on the router , all PC's will appear to have the same IP address to the ISP . Are you using ADSL through a phone line , or is it something like a cable modem that is the initial connection to the Internet ?

Ashley

Samlebam 18:40 26 Nov 07

I am in Germany at the moment, with Alice as an ISP, which I do believe is owned by AOL (gah).

I have the wall socket (splitter?) with a cable running to the ADSL modem. Modem is wired to the wireless router. Computers connect through that.
But as I said above, all of the problems stem from the fact we can only have two PPPoE connections simultaneously, and we need three. Or to figure out how to make the router behave as it should and connect us all through one.

Ashrich 18:49 26 Nov 07

For ICS to work , the client PC has to have the IP address of 192.168.0.1 , and the gateway the same . DNS must be enabled . As you see from your stats , your ethernet port is DNS enabled , and I think it would be better if the host PC connected to the router via an ethernet cable , not wireless , that way it can have the correct IP address , then the other one can connect wirelessly to it . Having said that , have you actually tried connecting the third PC to the wireless router ? The ISP shopuld only see the router as being connected to it's infrastructure , the other PC's only connect to the router , I don't think the ISP ( Alice ) would be able to " see " then , due to Network Address Translation . Try it , see if it works ...

Ashley

Ashrich 18:51 26 Nov 07

Is this a USB modem ?

Ashley

Samlebam 18:54 26 Nov 07

No, it's an Ethernet-connected modem.

Ashrich 19:03 26 Nov 07

Ok , have you tried powering down the modem for a few minutes , and also power down the router and the main PC . Connect the ethernet output from the modem to the WAN port on the router , and then another ethernet cable from port one on the router to the main PC . Power up the modem , then after a couple of minutes power the router , then again after a short wait for everything to settle down , boot the PC . Can you then log in to the router's set up pages ? and what make and model is the router , so I can see if I can help further ?

Ashley

Samlebam 19:15 26 Nov 07

I can indeed log into the router's pages and fiddle around with settings.

The router is a Sitecom; this one in fact: click here

I have tried powering down everything, several times. Even when wired physically, the WLAN port on the router will not connect the computer to the Internet. Tried playing around with all of the router settings in the interface (accessed through its IP address), but still nothing.

Thankyou for your help, by the way!

Ashrich 19:53 26 Nov 07

I'm having trouble downloading the manual for this router at the moment , I might be some time trying , but as soon as I have it , I'll have a good look through and see what can be done , although I think the router itself might be a Sitecom WL-160 , the other number ( 534 ) signifies it is that specific kit with the USB adapter .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…