Configuring a 2nd NIC card.

khryztophfer 23:20 27 Mar 14

Hi,

I am trying to set up a 2nd NIC card on my Windows 7 PC. I want to connect my Roku to the PC via the 2nd NIC card and use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share my VPN connection.

I originally had the Roku plugged in directly to the NIC card that came with the computer, and then was able to access the Internet through my VPN using my PC's built in WAN card. The problem is that my Internet connection is much slower over the WAN than it is over the LAN. So, I thought I would just install a second LAN card - one for the Internet (connected via my router), and the other for the Roku. Then I could just not use the WAN at all.

The 2nd NIC card shows up, but it's not configured properly and I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it.

My primary NIC is connected to the Internet through my router with an assigned IP address of 192.168.0.7 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0. The Default Gateway is the router's address: 192.168.0.1.

The 2nd NIC shows no network connection. It's IP address is showing up as 169.254.138.144. The Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0, and there is no Default Gateway.

My router is DHCP enabled and assigns all connected devices an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range. But since the 2nd NIC card is not connected to the router, how can I make it work on the same network? I tried bridging the two NIC adapters, but Windows won't let me.

I'm sure the issue is just something to do with addressing, but I haven't been able to find anything clear and decisive online about how to set it up properly.

I'm assuming it is possible to have multiple NICs, since my computer already has a LAN and a WAN card that work. So why is it so difficult to install a 2nd LAN NIC?

Help Please!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…