Configure wep on ad hoc wireless unsecured network

rdh660 15:40 02 Dec 06

Hi
With the help of the forum I have wirelessly networked my 2 Pcs and a laptop in an ad hoc manner and the network works fine incuding sharing the internet connection on my 'host' PC. Both Pc's use belkin usb adapters and the laptop is wireless enabled...all use windows XP home.
The network is not protected and I would like to secure it from outside access. I believe I do this with a WEP key ?
Can anybody tell me how I configure my at present unprotected wireless ad hoc network with WEP security. Can I choose a key of my own or do I have to obtain it from somewhere else and where do I enter it in the first place ? I have looked up information regarding this but I am not sure how to get to the screen to enter the key even if I knew how. Any plain english help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Taff™ 18:50 02 Dec 06

click here and scroll down to "Configuring WEP"

rdh660 09:38 03 Dec 06

Thanks Taff
Sorry I've not replied earlier. Looks pretty straight forward so I will give it ago and return once again to the forum if I run into trouble.
Thanks once again for the information.
Take care
Rob

postie24 16:17 03 Dec 06

Hi use wpa encryption.its more secure than wep

rdh660 17:01 03 Dec 06

Hi postie24
Thanks for the advice.I am not sure what the difference between WEP and WPA is but I will do a little research to find out. Do I enable WPA in the same manner as WEP by configuring it in Network properties ?
Thanks
Rob

postie24 17:45 03 Dec 06

Yep as long as your laptop supports it.Wpa is far more secure than wep.It would be harder for an outsider to crack wpa encryption than wep.Remember not to do any credit card transactions or anything to do with banking on a wireless connection

rdh660 17:58 03 Dec 06

postie24 thanks for the quick response and advice...I am off to do some reading. I have made a note of your wise advice regarding online usage when connected via wireless.
Take care
best regards

postie24 18:00 03 Dec 06

Thats ok rdh1, safe surfing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac