Configure newly added A: drive

Diemmess 17:03 06 Oct 05

The friend who lives 12 miles away and bought a new budget PC World PC......

He has just added a first floppy drive and has had two phone calls with me so far because it doesn't work!

I resolved his first problem because he didn't realise it need a power lead to work. He bought one locally!

Another longer call because he has couldn't find the drive in Windows (XP). I talked him through reaching the BIOS (F2 not DEL) It is American Megatrends. Managed to find Floppy disk and enable it, (it was disabled).

Still not recognised. Does not appear in Device Manager, neither does Floppy Disk Controller. What next? He insists the data cable at each end will only go in one way, the drive light is now permanently on.

Can someone who is used to this BIOS tell me where to look to configure the Floppy Disk and its controller?

Gongoozler 17:10 06 Oct 05

If the light is permanently on, the cable in the floppy drive is the wrong way round, so tell your friend to try again. Quite often the polarization key on the connector looks like it's the wrong way round.

gudgulf 17:11 06 Oct 05

If the drive light is permanently on, one of the connectors to the drive is in the wrong way round.

Once the drive is properly connected Windows will pick it up ands you will see the necessary controller.

Diemmess 18:21 06 Oct 05

Funnily enough I went to great pains to explain that one end or the other was wrongly connected.

He is supposed to have shut down and tested it, but claims that he cannot physically connect either end the other way round! Personally, I have always found it just too easy to get it wrong.

If the Floppy is ENabled in BIOS, does the built-in Floppy Disk Controller need waking up or is that automatic?

SOREBLADE 18:28 06 Oct 05

I have had this problem your friend may be right it wont go the other way tell him to find out why it wont and it's probably like a pin block thingy I just pirced that and plugged it in the other way and bingo it worked!

dan11 18:30 06 Oct 05

You will find that there will be 2 or 3 settings in the bios needed to enable the floppy drive.

The first one is the obvious one. That is usually in standard cmos settings. It is usually listed under the ide settings. it's just drive A >> set to enable.

You will then need to to find floppy drive seek, this can be under advanced bios settings. This also to enable.

Also look under integrated peripherals for Onboard FDC. This will need to be enabled.

Save settings and exit.

These are for certain chipsets. The actual settings may vary. It would be better if the motherboard could be recognized.

Gongoozler 18:33 06 Oct 05

Hi again Diemmess. If the light is permanently on, there's no doubt that the connector is the wrong way round. Your friend can confirm this by looking for the pin1 marker which should be at the same end as the coloured stripe on the cable. As SOREBLADE said, your friend has to find a way of getting round the polarisation problem, even if this involves cutting or otherwise modifying the connector.

dan11 18:36 06 Oct 05

Sorry, I did not read it correctley.:-(

The floppy light is permanantly on. >> cable, as all above.;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 06 Oct 05

Light on means cable definately wrong way round click here red stripe pin 1

You ony need ONboard FDC (floppy drive controller ) enabled in BIOS.

Floppy seek and Floppy swap not required and can be left Disabled

Diemmess 21:07 06 Oct 05

Thanks everyone. We all seem to be singing to the same sheet!

He may not know much about computers, but he is a meticulous minature model maker, and I am sure I can coax him into filing off the small rectangular bulge at the Drive end and making it go in the other way. Couldn't contact him this evening, but will post back when he has succeeded!

woodchip 21:31 06 Oct 05

Recheck all BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…