Configure audio ports

hastelloy 19:26 15 Dec 06
Answered

I have set up my new PC for surround sound to the speakers, which use all 3 rear ports. The mic works through 1 of the front ports but I can't work out how to configure the other front port for line-in. Any suggestions please?

My spec is:
INTELĀ® Core 2 Duo E6300 (2 X 1.86GHz) 1066MHz FSB/2MB L2 Cache
Memory (RAM) 2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz
Motherboard ASUSĀ® P5LD2 SE/C: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA, x16 VGA, 3 PCI/3 PCI-E
XP PRO
4 PORT USB 2.0 CARD (TOTAL: 10 USB 2.0 PORTS!)
150GB SERIAL ATA RAPTOR HDD WITH 16MB CACHE (10000rpm)
160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
16X DVD ROM WITH 48X CD ROM
16x +/- DVD WRITER (8x +/- Dual Lyr) (5x DVD-RAM) (40x CD-RW)
128MB RADEON X300-SE (HM) PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
INTEGRATED 8 CHANNEL (7.1 SURROUND) HIGH DEF. AUDIO
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (ETHERNET)
1.44MB - 3.5" FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
INTERNAL 23 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT)
500W (Peak) Super Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm fan & CPU Cooler
3 PORT FIREWIRE (IEEE1394) PCI CARD
CREATIVE INSPIRE 5.1 P5800 SPEAKER SYSTEM

howard64 20:24 15 Dec 06

your mobo manual should show the connection - if not visit the makers site and it should be shown

Technotiger 20:35 15 Dec 06

Hi, the other front port is surely for Headphone socket, in conjunction with the other front socket which is for Mic. Your Line-in port should be on your sound card at the reverse of your tower.

Technotiger 20:37 15 Dec 06

I have a 5.1 speaker set-up too. My big whoofer is connected to my line-in on sound card, and my five speakers are connected to back of big whoofer.

hastelloy 08:38 16 Dec 06

Technotiger
Yes you're right but I need all 3 rear ports for my speakers - 3 connections into the subwoofer which then connects to the speakers - so my only spare port is the headphone one on the front. I think I should be able to configure this for lie-in but gan't work out how!!

howard 64
Thanks for that - I'll see what I can find.

hastelloy 08:40 16 Dec 06

I'm not having a lie-in - should be line-in and gan't should be can't. I haven't been drinking, honest.

Technotiger 08:49 16 Dec 06

Ah yes - to get an extra connection in the rear, you could of course just get a small adapter single minijack in with two minijack sockets out.
These are easily available in most hifi/elec shops. Only cost a quid or so.

Technotiger 08:57 16 Dec 06

PS - make sure you get a Stereo one, cos they come in both flavours.

Stuartli 09:38 16 Dec 06

If you check your motherboard manual and the configuration for onboard sound ports (I'm assuming you are using onboard sound), you should/may find that you have to configure the setup for six channel sound.

In my case the (Realtek onboard sound) Line Out is used for the rear channels, Line Out 2 for front channels and the third Line Out for centre and subwoofer channels.

The Line In and MIC functions are converted to Line Out function when four channel mode for six speaker output is selected.

I only use 2.1 so retain the Line In and MIC functions.

hastelloy 14:43 16 Dec 06

howard 64 & Stuartli
the mobo manual isn't very helpful in terms of configuring. I'm using the line-in, line-out and mic ports for my speakers and the software allows me to configure these OK. It says there is 1 internal "Front panel audio connector" so I guess this is connected to my front ports. I have also tried the Asus website which has also not helped, but I'll probably post on their forum. I also have an S/PDIF Out port on the rear - I assume this is for a Hi Fi system or such-like? (It's a phono).

Stuartli
I can only configure for 5.1, quadrophonic or stereo. Yes I am using onboard sound. Whilst I am really grateful for your time and trouble, I'm afraid you lost me after that.

Technotiger
I do have an adaptor but if I use that for the speakers, it means both front and surround speakers are fed through the same port.

I have tried using the front earphone port for 1 of the speaker connections and that works but I then can't get line-e in from a rear port.

I have now used the adaptor suggested by Technotiger to feed both mic and line-in through the front mic port and this works.

Unfortunately, I do still have a minor problem. When using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, I can record without any problem but can't hear what I'm recording - either through speakers or earphone.

Many thanks to you all for your responses - I apologise for my lack of technical expertise - even though I'm getting on a bit I'm still learning!!!

Stuartli 14:54 16 Dec 06
Answer

5.1 is six-channel sound (.1 is the subwoofer).

The three motherboard sockets serving my Realtek onbord sound are normally Line In, Line Out and MIC - using the Realtek Audio Configuration Panel these can be configured to be used in the way I described earlier.

I would imagine you have something very similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…