configuration updates-frozen & cant get past page

carli_orchard 20:11 23 Oct 09

Hi,
I have a dell laptop with windows vista, and one night before turing it off it said it needed to install some "configure updates" so it said to click there and it would complete them and then shut down. So i left it to do that over night as there was quite a few, then when i checked it next morning it was off. So i assumed everything was all ok. BUT when i turn it on the screen appears saying "Configuring Updates: Stage 3 of 3 0% complete. Do not turn off your PC" so i leave it and it does nothing and the % doesnt change at all, and it then restarts itself. But the same thing happens everytime it restarts, or i turn it on. So i cant actually get into it at all. i have tried going to the F12 and F2 menu and resoring to default settings, but that hasnt done anything. Please can you help as i cant really afford to pay to get it fixed?? thanks.

Technotiger 20:19 23 Oct 09

Try a System Restore ... click here

Technotiger 20:20 23 Oct 09

I should have added - .... back a day or so!

carli_orchard 20:32 23 Oct 09

i cant get past that page to get to any menus, so i cant do that :o(

Technotiger 21:01 23 Oct 09

Can you start in Safe Mode?

carli_orchard 16:57 25 Oct 09

i have tried that. i have tried most options to be honest in the F2 and F12 menus. i tried that and i also tried restore to defaults, and then save changes and exit, and still nothing worked. i just cant get past that page at all and everything i have tried has made not one bit of difference. do you think i should take it to pcworld? would they be able to fix it? and if so do you know how much it would probably cost?

Technotiger 17:03 25 Oct 09

Have you got an original Vista disk - if so, or if you could borrow one, you might be able to effect a Repair if you can boot with the Disk in the drive.

Failing that, I expect PCW would be able to fix it, but I have no idea of the cost.

Audio~~Chip 00:02 26 Oct 09

may cause a GWV failure.

Try Switch on the laptop and press F8 to see if it will let you boot into windows in Safe Mode or if not see if it will give you the prompt to repair Windows Vista

Technotiger 07:47 26 Oct 09

Hiya, a GWV failure? what by just trying a Repair, not like installing the OS!

Anyway, it would appear you have not read the thread anyway?

Wakey-wakey .... :-)

carli_orchard 12:08 26 Oct 09

ill try and if not take it to pcworld. thanks soo much for your advice! x :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant